A question about bear defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

masblackbelt

A question about bear defense

Post by masblackbelt »

So last hunting season, I was hunting on a family owned piece of property and had heard there was a black bear wondering around at times. I thought no big deal, I'll never see it anyway. But one morning as I was sitting up at the top of a rock ledge overlooking the local watering hole, and here comes Mr. Black Bear. With nowhere to really go (again, I'm on a rock ledge with the black bear behind me) it was an interesting encounter that went just fine. But I have since acquired a 44 magnum revolver to carry as a woods gun. If in the situation where the bear had to be shot, would you do it with the 300 blackout CZ 527 I hunt with, or the 44 magnum? Based on some reading many people think the 300 blackout is anemic for something like a bear. But the 44 magnum is generally regarded as a decent bear gun. However, the 300 blackout is probably a little more powerful. The rounds in the 527 have traditionally been the Barnes 110gr Tac-TX, but I am going to try some of the 150gr Gold Dots this year probably. Anyway, I'm interested to hear your opinions on this, particularly people who actually shoot things with their guns (seems like a lot of people don't...). Also, I know bear spray is probably the best option.
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: A question about bear defense

Post by Sig220 »

I had a black bear walk in on me while I was still hunting on the ground this last season. It was late evening so I figured I should let him know I was there so I yelled, "Bear!" He took off away from me but then turned and ran toward me to climb up a big oak tree like he was on fire. He was looking down like I was after him, so I took the opportunity to slip out of the woods and back to my vehicle. I was armed with my 300 BO AR....with 125gn SST's on board.

We both left unharmed....as it was in a state where shooting bears is highly frowned upon with the punishment being astronomically high fines....even in self defense. So unless he was going to crawl up my britches leg, I didn't have much choice. As long as we don't scare each other up close or between Mom and babies, I think we can avoid each other. As far as shooting bears in self defense, I don't think it would really matter with which weapon you shot it with as long as you placed your shots well.

Be Safe!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

may also choose to look into the barnes 120gr
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Hunting bears and defending against one are completely different situations. I have hunted them with a bow, but for defense a good fixed blade knife would probably work better.

For a true defensive weapon, the pistol is probably the best choice. It's easier to get the muzzle against the bear and pull the trigger while he chews on you. Even a 6" barreled AR is too long for that.

A charging bear has no clear vitals to shoot at. The head is a wedge shaped brick that acts as a deflector and is placed right in front of the heart. The best you can hope for is to break a shoulder and slow it down for the second shot.

I don't know anyone who chooses to shoot a bear head on and that's what you will have in a defensive scenario. It's just too hard to kill them that way.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/
This with slugs would be better than a 44 mag.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

The probably 10 times I've come across a black bear in the woods, they would go the other direction when they saw me. Once there was a mother with 2 cubs about 50yrds away but she didn't see me. I was standing in waste deep buckbrush bow hunting when she appeared, sniffed real deep in my direction, spun around in a complete circle and continued on her way with the 2 cubs following her.

Couple years ago mtn biking, a decent size bear was coming up the trail I was riding down. I stopped and made sure to make enough movement where it would see me (grabbing my phone to take a video) and it turned around and headed back the direction it came from. It was about 80yds away.

Bear attacks by black bears in areas I wondered through the years have been primarily to people sleeping in the open at night. The reasoning this occurs is thought to be the bear smells food from what the person ate before retiring and end up biting them on the head. Its happened several times over the years in SoCal. One guy shot a bear with an arrow and ran up to it too soon... he got mauled.

Bear spray would be my first defense. Those reach out to 30 feet with the larger cans. If you had to shoot I'd use my primary weapon. Changing guns to shoot a charging bear has failure written all over it.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
masblackbelt

Post by masblackbelt »

Thanks for the input gents! Sounds like if you feel like you need to shoot the bear, find a way out of it... Haha, Always interesting to get out in nature and realize that we, like every other animal in the world, are just a part of the food chain sometimes. Pretty humbling.
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...