HELP!!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: HELP!!!

Post by wildfowler »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:50 am I recently found a box of loaded 300 Blackout subsonic ammunition. It was labeled for an AR. I was using it to test fire a newly built gun and these loads are insanely quiet, especially for a AR loading. Quieter than anything else I have ever shot.

Problem is I do not have any load data in or on the box so I have no clue what it is.

Here is a picture of the powder under a microscope.

I have compared it to every other powder I have on hand and none of them match.

I know it is NOT Lil'Gun, IMR 4227, H4198, Blue Dot, Trail Boss or VV N110. I did have some A1680 at some point but no longer have any to compare so it might be A1680.

So can anyone help identify this powder please. It is going to be my go to powder for subs if I can figure out what it is.

This is the powder I was thinking of. I have an old metal can of it but it’s one of the ones on your list of powders you said it is NOT. And I don’t have a microscope to get a better photo of it either.

So I got nothing. Sorry.

https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h121 ... a6l6c.jpeg
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Looks like IMR 4227 to me. What was the load data?
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I’ve been thinking about this some more.

Did you or can you chronograph the load? I’d be curious to see if a new lot of this powder generates the same velocity grain for grain.

Thanks
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

wildfowler wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:21 am I’ve been thinking about this some more.

Did you or can you chronograph the load? I’d be curious to see if a new lot of this powder generates the same velocity grain for grain.

Thanks
Keep in mind 4227 changed a few years ago. There was both IMR and Hodgdon. If i remember correctly, IMR 4227 went away, and Hodgdon 4227 is now sold as IMR.

Differences were subtle.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

dellet wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:54 am
wildfowler wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:21 am I’ve been thinking about this some more.

Thanks
Keep in mind 4227 changed a few years ago. There was both IMR and Hodgdon. If i remember correctly, IMR 4227 went away, and Hodgdon 4227 is now sold as IMR.

Differences were subtle.
I didn’t know that but am still curious to know what the velocity is with the old load is if that’s available.

Thanks
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

The bullets are Lee 230's that were powder coated. The powder charge is probably 9.5 grains.

Looking through the powder database they have different formulations of IMR 4227 with different ingredients. I bet this is a different formulation that some of the recent lots and that is why it is quieter.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Interesting.

If you’re ever in central MS I’d be glad to share from this old container of 4227 that I have.

If memory serves me correctly I bought it for 410 shot shell load in about 20 years ago and didn’t like it better than W296.

It would be nice if you could figure out exactly which lot of powder produced these ultraquiet loads and have a powder manufacturer custom formulate another batch for you.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

wildfowler wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:21 pm

It would be nice if you could figure out exactly which lot of powder produced these ultraquiet loads and have a powder manufacturer custom formulate another batch for you.

that sounds cool and all... but i dont think i could afford a shipping container of powder - which i'd have to guess would be about the minimum order to request a custom run - no less be able to do something with it in my lifetime :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.