Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by popper »

I've gotten comments from those using H4895 in BO, fps isn't the highest. I'll try some cfeblk/rx7 next to compare. Army tests show jax actually slump into the grooves vs 'cutting'. Got these for hogs so a big hole is not a problem and one inch @ 200 isn't bad either but the extra 50 yds is. Companies do use the 'best' number but that is a pretty good difference.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

popper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:16 am I've gotten comments from those using H4895 in BO, fps isn't the highest. I'll try some cfeblk/rx7 next to compare. Army tests show jax actually slump into the grooves vs 'cutting'. Got these for hogs so a big hole is not a problem and one inch @ 200 isn't bad either but the extra 50 yds is. Companies do use the 'best' number but that is a pretty good difference.
A link to the test might make it more clear, but there is a huge difference in rifling engraving the bearing surface of the bullet, and the nose slumping due to velocity pressure and acceleration. For the nose on a jacketed bullet to slump, you woul need a very fast powder, and high pressure.

Quickload will give you either 296/H110 or Lil’gun as the fastest powder. If you’re looking for speed, CFE BLK is a joke and RL7 will probably be slower than 1680, but it’s not a powder I have used much. Always good to get someone else’s experience tho so you should give it a go.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
NeverBlue

Post by NeverBlue »

Has anyone played with Gordons Reloading Tool? It’s an free (beta) alternative to QL, but it has a pretty limited powder database. http://www.grtools.de

It does have a bunch of Lovex & VV powders though, so I was looking at some 150GD loads to see how it compares to the data I could gather from this thread.

If anyone has compared QL with GRT & actual measured data I’d sure like to here about the results.
Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Saxon wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 pm this the "right stuff"? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019830669
Those are correct. Make sure you check the rebate.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

NeverBlue wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:59 pm Has anyone played with Gordons Reloading Tool? It’s an free (beta) alternative to QL, but it has a pretty limited powder database. http://www.grtools.de

It does have a bunch of Lovex & VV powders though, so I was looking at some 150GD loads to see how it compares to the data I could gather from this thread.

If anyone has compared QL with GRT & actual measured data I’d sure like to here about the results.
I could not find a barrel length, that velocity is probably about 100 fps slow, I would expect mid to high 1800's in a 16".
NeverBlue

Post by NeverBlue »

It was set to 8”. The tip of the bullet in the case drawing is pointing to that field. It seems like most of the data I enter is coming out on the hot side, some of it way hot... except fot the VV powders.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

NeverBlue wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm It seems like most of the data I enter is coming out on the hot side, some of it way hot... except fot the VV powders.
Just for grins, would you try my load of 22.4 grains of Shooter's World Blackout (Lovex D063-2) with an OAL of 2.26? Then I'll tell you what QL says about that. :shock:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Damn guys, at over 44,000 views I'd say there is some interest. Push it hard, keep your distance reasonable and I would say you have THE BEST supersonic option for 300 Blk. This may offend the Barnes 110 crowd but I stand by the info posted here. Good on dellet for being cutting edge and velocity testing this bullet. Of course this applies to reasonable 300 Blk distances.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
NeverBlue

Post by NeverBlue »

It says... KABOOM! Nice MV though.
It only has generic D063, so maybe that’s the problem.
Last edited by NeverBlue on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.