Tiny 300blk pistol

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Chodges81

Tiny 300blk pistol

Post by Chodges81 »

I'm not looking for a plinker, I'm looking to build an ar pistol in 300 blk that will fit inside of my truck console. I'm going to attach a side folding stock. What's the shortest barrel I could run and gun still function properly? I'll not gonna shoot suppressed. The truck console is a2018 f250 its. 15 inches front to back and 17 inches corner to corner. I need some help on whether or not I can stay under those numbers and still have a functioning pistol. Thanks in advance.
dowser

Re: Tiny 300blk pistol

Post by dowser »

I am almost finished with a compact lightweight build. 5" pistol buffer tube & proprietary buffer from Strike Industries. 6" barrel from Right to Bear, with a KAW linesr comp, and a basic knurled aluminum free-float tube cut down to 5.5 inches. Overall length is 20.25 inches; weight (empty, no optics) is 4#4.2oz. Running a Superlative adjustable gas block but I had to have the shoulder on the KAW comp turned back 0.25 inch to clear the adjustment screw, as the threads on the barrel start immediately adjacent to the gas block journal.

You could shave another 1.75 inches by going with the KAK 4.25 inch stubby barrel, but it requires a proprietary shortened gas tube and a modified gas block. You could also throw money at the project and look at some of the new PDW pistol braces but I'm not sure you'll find anything much shorter than the Strike pistol tube.

eta - I re-read your post and saw that you plan to use a side-folder, and realized that my comments about pistol tube lengths are moot. Total length but including buffer tube is 15.5 inches. I'll measure the LAW folder that I have in another pistol this evening for you.
Chodges81

Post by Chodges81 »

Thank you. It has been heard for me to find measurements. I don't want to buy all this stuff without making sure it would fit what I wanted
dowser

Post by dowser »

Just measured my LAW folder - it adds 1.5" when folded, due to the hinge & the locking tab that sticks out of the buffer tube half.

Don't get me wrong - I really like my LAW folder - but you really have to be careful that dirt/grit and other gunk doesn't get inside it when it's folded. That, and the cost, is why I went with the Strike Industries tube for my most recent pistol build - it's only 3.5" longer then the LAW when the LAW is folded. Fits perfectly in my turquoise & orange millennial CamelBak. The advantage (to me) of the LAW on my previous build is that I was able to put an 8.5" pistol buffer tube on it making it 10" long when un-folded - perfect for a hunting pistol.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Does it need to be semi auto? The Solo build was pretty cool.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=103068
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Chodges81

Post by Chodges81 »

I would rather go thesemi auto route but that is an awesome build
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

This ain't cheap, but if you factor cost of lower + LAW folder, it isn't a lot more:

https://shieldarms.com/sa-15
Chodges81

Post by Chodges81 »

Thanks. You're right. They ain't cheap