Reading Wind

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reading Wind

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Yea that whole note taking thing is something I'm terrible at. I always say "I'll remember" and it sounds all fine and dandy at the time until the next time when I'm trying to remember if I'm coming or going.

Well Lord willing and the creek don't rise you'll get a chance to redeem yourself next year. Sounds like some real tough shooting.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Several other things, unless you are handicapped, you must shoot prone. So we definitely know of zero shift from bench to prone - saw it all week, to damn dumb to call it. But I also notice as I was on target, recoil impulse was different with several shots and on those that 8 twist would hop the left side of the f-class bipod of the ground. Torque. When I lined up on the rifle better, it slid straight back. So part of this is to do some practice prone.
The other part is the big Sightron (10x50x60 ) on this rifle is sitting perhaps a quarter inch to high, causing me to hold my neck at an odd angle.
Need to rectify that.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 pm Several other things, unless you are handicapped, you must shoot prone. So we definitely know of zero shift from bench to prone - saw it all week, to damn dumb to call it. But I also notice as I was on target, recoil impulse was different with several shots and on those that 8 twist would hop the left side of the f-class bipod of the ground. Torque. When I lined up on the rifle better, it slid straight back. So part of this is to do some practice prone.
The other part is the big Sightron (10x50x60 ) on this rifle is sitting perhaps a quarter inch to high, causing me to hold my neck at an odd angle.
Need to rectify that.
Just keep eatin them biscuits boy, the quarter inch high will take care of itself :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Yep, be looking down at 100 yards if I don't watch it. Need an inner tube for a ground cloth. Already need a back brace for much of it.
Dem biscuits good tho". Hell of a lot better than quinoa and greek yogurt for breakfast.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I read an interesting drill to learn wind compensation, shooting three, three shot groups. Increasing the number of groups with experience.

Set up at a distance where wind will noticeably effect the shot, on a day that it will and plan on spending some time. Use wind flags and note mirage. The example was three groups shot one round at a time, in three different conditions.

Start with the rifle zeroed, shoot the first shot and record the conditions and sight adjustment needed to bring that to point of aim, but do not adjust the scope. It’s important to have the same zero for each group.

Wait for different conditions for shot number two and again record conditions and adjustment.

Third set of conditions, third shot.

Now the fun begins.

For shots 4 & 7 wait for conditions recorded for shot 1. Then the same for shots 5 & 8, 6 & 9.

When finished you should have 3 distinct groups based on 3 different wind conditions and your ability to record and recognize them.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Wouldn't hurt to practice that for the Soybean fields as well.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I forgot to add, with the bullet I was shooting - 6mm 105 HVLD I managed to learn a bit about the wind. I went to a friends range, 600 yards, set a target at 500. Ran my elevation , guessed on windage and shot 3 shots a bit over 2 inches. The wind was a steady 12mph, gusts to 15 mph from 4 o'clock. I hit 5 inches RIGHT on 2 inches HIGH.
OK , overcompensated. Not a full value wind. I started to dial it back where I would hit dead on when the range owner suggested I take all the windage out just to see how far it pushed me. I was game and did that. This was off a solid bench, I should have been doing this prone :shock:
In any case I shot this -

Group on the left, at 500 yards. So low, left and exactly what wind charts call. Damn near blew me off target. Still, this is was the rifle is capable of when the dumba$$ behind it steers it right. Now, obviously I didn't steer that ( on purpose ) correctly but my gun handling/ trigger control was good.
Make sure you read that info on the target, mirage, wind, ect.
I'll get this in my head yet. :roll: