300 Black Out Large Lead Bullet Reliability

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

J-Fish

300 Black Out Large Lead Bullet Reliability

Post by J-Fish »

Ok, did several searches and found some answers, but want to put a collection of resolutions together.

I have a SBR with can... I have been trying to sling 245 gr from Missouri Bullet Company and 265 gr from ACME Bullet Company at pigs through my SBR for a while. Constantly have some sort of feed issue. First it was blow back/gas. Got that worked out and now it seems to be the squared off, large diameter of the nose of these bullets jamming on the feed ramp or the bolt ridding up on top of the bullet itself (as if it blew back just enough to allow the next shell to pop up and still rode up on top the new round).

I have ordered a buffer spring kit to try different spring weights, since I primarly shoot Subs.

I have ordered a Magpul 300 BK mag, that is gen 3 (I believe) and should help or rule out mag issues I hope.

I am working on modifying my feed ramp and polishing them. Rounding corners and opening them up a bit.

Anything I am missing?

Is anyone shooting these rounds with good reliability? I want the gun to run 99% or better and currently its running about 50% at best.

On my standard 1700 fps jacketed bullets it runs like a dream, just want to dedicate it to large lead chunking.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Black Out Large Lead Bullet Reliability

Post by Boolit_Head »

You are missing a big one. The rest may not influence it but the Mag will if you are using 223/5.56 mags. The 223 mag has ribs that are supposed to keep the round stacking properly. With the normal 300 loads this is not problem, but with the heavies it tends to pinch in the front of the stack causing issues just like you have mentioned. Magpul created the 300 mags for just that reason. There are also people who have ground down the ribs to correct the stacking issue. I've been shooting the Noe 245 grain in both HP and solid nose without issues like this. Load up several in the mag and take a look at the way the bullets stack in front, they tend to get pinched in.
J-Fish

Post by J-Fish »

Man that is good to know. I did order a Magpul gen 2 or 3 300 BO mag... Wish it would come in. Was using the standard mags as mentioned and did a little grinding on them to get them to work half a__.

You shooting out of a short barrel and pistol length gas port?

What is NOE? Will have to ask or follow up with some google search. Thought I found the only heaviest lead bullets commercially produced.

Would be interested in the HP.

You shooting suppressed??? Finding much lead/carbon buildup on can adapter or in the suppressor?

Anyone else have any pointers?
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

Yes, a 7.5 inch pistol gas barrel. Supressed and not at times. Noe is a custom bullet mold maker, a very good one at that. Carbon can be a function of the power used. Try different ones. Ideally a powder that burns completely leaves less residue. Finding that is trial and error.
J-Fish

Post by J-Fish »

Good to know about the powder. I tried 4227 and stuck with it but it seams somewhat dirty. May I ask what others may use? Sure I could grab a reloading book and see 10 samples but, whats anyone on there "best success" stories?
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I have not been trying much other than 4227, lately with 2 grandsons at home it's been a bit too busy to get out to shoot.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

J-Fish wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:59 pm

What is NOE? Will have to ask or follow up with some google search. Thought I found the only heaviest lead bullets commercially produced.

Would be interested in the HP.
NOE is a company that makes molds.

They made a mold years back designed by Dolemite which was probably the first 300 BO specific design on the market.

They also offer other designs which have small changes to deal with some of the things people have encountered since then.

Like for instance this one: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30_583 or it's smooth brother http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30_584

Both designed to allow you to load to aproximately magazine length without small variability causing problems as happens with the Lee/Midway design that looks kinda similar.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

Feed issue? What type of ramps are on the extension?
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

I tried it in several.Faxxon M4, widened M4, PSA widened M4, and eventually DIY improved PSA.

IIRC I tried it in a CMMG barrel too, which was ~M4.

I found that there is a short length of ranges that feeds, and a long length which feeds. In the middle hangs up with most of them and the very short end of the short range of OAL worked in all. All the ramps are helped by removal of sharper edges.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Referring there to 311041 PB. 172-185 grains depending on alloy...