New Tires

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jarem08
Silent Operator

New Tires

Post by Jarem08 »

I picked up a truck about a week ago. It is a 2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x2.

This truck is a work truck as it goes into the grass, fields, woods, mud and is used to haul trash, and carry wood along with whatever else I need it for.

I know I will have to put tires on it so what do you all run?

I know I usually just go for all terrain tires and that has always done fine for me but maybe there is something else that I am missing that is better.

We do get snow and ice as well so that has to be taken into consideration.

What do you all have?
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Tires

Post by Boolit_Head »

I quit running the BFG's and have run the Nitto Terra Grapplers on two trucks now. I am very pleased with them. Of course I am in the south so ice and snow will remain untested though. Been eying the new Hybrid from them I may try the Ridge Grapplers when I have to put tires on my 4x4 next.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Thanks. I will check them out.

What are the rated mileage on them?
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

GOA member!
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I don't think they do the mileage ratings anymore they have some sort of tread wear rating.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-t ... qmEALw_wcB
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

previously i was running Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my S10. great tire. 50k or so rating, but i have a set with like 52k on them with 9/32 tread left. (mostly highway, no damaged/worn steering / suspension parts & properly aligned)
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/ ... 10/p/10826

they dont make those in the size my silverado takes anymore, but as i understand it they are private labeling them under the Pathfinder product line for discount tire. those are rated at 55k miles. the tread pattern isnt identical on the two, but damn is it close

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/ ... at/p/26240

ive got a couple hundred miles short of 20k on them, and holding 10/32 of tread so far. (again - mostly highway, no damaged/worn steering/suspension parts & proper alignment)

both of those labels are amazing in snow and on crappy roads. neither tire produces obnoxious road noise.

i havent had them in any serious mud yet, but i do drive them on some two track, through the woods on our property up north, etc.

i drive both of these tires as a true all season tire - year round - and rotate every 6k on the same cycle as my oil changes.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Thanks all for the tire info. All tires so far look good...REALLY good.

I don't know why I am not getting notices for responses. Sorry for the delay.

GOA member!