2018 Hunting results

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2018 Hunting results

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Sig220 wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:Nice work on the kills guys!
It's a shame that the season is wrapping up :(
Yep, its ABOUT over, but not quite!!

I have to go back to Louisiana next week which is the last week of regular rifle season. Would like to take a nice doe and if weather cooperates, I may get the chance. The end of rifle season there is followed by the "primitive" rifle season for another 10 days. Not that I have used a "primitive" rifle, but their definition
is different to say the least!

I hope you can score a nice doe. I'm out of freezer room and me and the ol' lady netted 136 pounds of deboned venison this year so my freezer is still quite full. If I work it down some soon then maybe in Feb I might go to my cousin's deer lease and whack some pigs. They say they have a ton of them on the property. I would just have to make the 3 hour trek out there and plan to spend a weekend making it happen :)
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

I'm happy to report I had better results this season.

Last year I posted on the Deer Hunting thread that I had lost my first attempted deer kill with 194 gr Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion ammo. I won't go through the story again other than to say I think I probably had a lethal hit but didn't wait long enough before going to look for it.

Fast forward to this season. I was able to take this buck at 70 yards with a heart shot. The bullet was a complete pass through so I didn't find the bullet, but the buck only ran 40 yards before going down. The wound through the heart clearly shows that the bullet expanded well.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 12ekptNG13

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 12ekptNG13
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Nice kill Gimli. What bullet did you use this year?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
Sig220 wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:Nice work on the kills guys!
It's a shame that the season is wrapping up :(

I have to go back to Louisiana next week which is the last week of regular rifle season. Would like to take a nice doe and if weather cooperates, I may get the chance. The end of rifle season there is followed by the "primitive" rifle season for another 10 days. Not that I have used a "primitive" rifle, but their definition

I hope you can score a nice doe. I'm out of freezer room and me and the ol' lady netted 136 pounds of deboned venison this year so my freezer is still quite full. If I work it down some soon then maybe in Feb I might go to my cousin's deer lease and whack some pigs. They say they have a ton of them on the property. I would just have to make the 3 hour trek out there and plan to spend a weekend making it happen :)

Well, I tried........ half heartedly.

I picked up my previous harvest at the processor on the day before I left on my trip. Had to really pack everything to get it in the freezer. The processor said I netted 49 pounds of trim from my deer (average here is 35). So I only ventured out one afternoon to sit on a stand. Saw a young spike at 58 yards but no does. :cry:

My Bil's brother killed a doe within sight of my stand 6-700 yards and all I got was muddy helping him recover his harvest!

So that concludes the first half of hunting season 2019. Got to wait for the fall to get everything going again!

Will enjoy shooting during the off season, as firing 1 or 2 shots hunting deer does not cure my shooting itch!!

Gimli,
Nice Buck!

Where did you bag that one?
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

SwampDog_13 wrote:Nice kill Gimli. What bullet did you use this year?
Thanks. I stuck with the 194 gr Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion.

For some reason the board didn’t want to post the pictures directly in my post, but I’m glad the links work.
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

Gimli,
Nice Buck!

Thanks. I got him in VA. The place I hunted had standing corn this year, but the deer were going directly between the corn and some cut overs adjacent the property that I don’t have permission to hunt. With no acorns this year, they just weren’t hanging out where they normally do, so it made hunting different and tricky. That buck came to the edge of the corn just before last light.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Sig220 wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:
Sig220 wrote:

Well, I tried........ half heartedly.

I picked up my previous harvest at the processor on the day before I left on my trip. Had to really pack everything to get it in the freezer. The processor said I netted 49 pounds of trim from my deer (average here is 35). So I only ventured out one afternoon to sit on a stand. Saw a young spike at 58 yards but no does. :cry:

My Bil's brother killed a doe within sight of my stand 6-700 yards and all I got was muddy helping him recover his harvest!

So that concludes the first half of hunting season 2019. Got to wait for the fall to get everything going again!

Will enjoy shooting during the off season, as firing 1 or 2 shots hunting deer does not cure my shooting itch!!

Gimli,
Nice Buck!

Well that's why it is called hunting and not killing :D At least you were successful earlier.
Once I recover from the holiday madness I intend to do some load work up before it gets hot. Plus I need to troubleshoot why my main 300BLk rifle was skipping around the week I went to hunt but had no issues 2 weeks before when I finished sighting it in with my recent load.

I noticed that some of the tips of my bullets were getting dinged up pretty good when it auto chambers a round after firing the previous round. I think lengthening my COAL will fix this. It has in the past but the bullets in the past were plastic tip and these are not.
In any case it will be fun to continue tweaking, working, and getting some more shooting in :)
armedferret

Post by armedferret »

Lil late to post but nabbed 4 deer total this year, 3 with the blackout. Button buck with no photo, 35ish yard chipshot with 125NBT, full pass through and he went 20 yards painting everything red.

2 does, one with 208 eld subs (cns, neck) at 74 yards, dropped where she stood:

Blackout Doe by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

And a doe at about 110 yards, 125NBT again, full pass through, she made it 30 with no lungs.

blackout doe supers by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Fourth deer was a basket 8 with no molars left, with my 7-08/120TTSX. Dropped him in place, recovered the bullet (hard quartering) and it weighed a hair over 117 grains.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

armedferret wrote:Lil late to post but nabbed 4 deer total this year, 3 with the blackout. Button buck with no photo, 35ish yard chipshot with 125NBT, full pass through and he went 20 yards painting everything red.

2 does, one with 208 eld subs (cns, neck) at 74 yards, dropped where she stood:

And a doe at about 110 yards, 125NBT again, full pass through, she made it 30 with no lungs.

Fourth deer was a basket 8 with no molars left, with my 7-08/120TTSX. Dropped him in place, recovered the bullet (hard quartering) and it weighed a hair over 117 grains.
Congrats on the kills! It is nice to put meat in the freezer :)
Longcarbine

Post by Longcarbine »

Took a small seven point with a handgun this year and my grandson took a couple does with his Ruger .308.
"The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I dont always listen to Black Sabbath but when I do, so do the neighbors."