Hornady 190 sub-x powder?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Hornady 190 sub-x powder?

Post by Bob the nailer »

I pulled a bullet on the Hornady 190 sub-x cartridge to see the powder fill and noticed it is a spherical type powder with good case fill. I weighed it at 11 grains ( have read 10.8 grns in another post ), any guess on type? H335 looks similar however not a good choice, whats the opinion on sphericals?
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 190 sub-x powder?

Post by dellet »

No answer for the actual question, but this might help, searchable powder database. Photos, measurements included.

Link to H335
http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/sample_ ... der_id=768

Link to the search page
http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
savage308

Post by savage308 »

I might just be 335 because my new LYMAN book has some loads for that powder. I wish I could find the same components to reload because that factory load works great in my guns.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Lyman 50 lists H335 loads for 300blk?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

golfindia wrote:Lyman 50 lists H335 loads for 300blk?
That might be good for javelina at close range. The bullet kills the pig and the unburned powder kills all the fleas and ticks. On one side, at least.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

bangbangping wrote:
That might be good for javelina at close range. The bullet kills the pig and the unburned powder kills all the fleas and ticks. On one side, at least.
You have good luck killing pigs with Hornady 190 subs? I want to do a pig shoot this summer and debating which rifle I should bring.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

bearcatrp wrote:
bangbangping wrote:
You have good luck killing pigs with Hornady 190 subs? I want to do a pig shoot this summer and debating which rifle I should bring.
That was a poor attempt at humor.

I'll shoot a javelina or deer with 300 BLK subs, but not pigs. Have no interest in tracking a pig at night, or at all for that matter. IMO, take something that will anchor them in place.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Testing powders on the bench I found RL7 to be a little better for case fill volume at 11.3 grains. Still looking for thread info on possible sub-X powder. RL7 has been a good choice for my 300Blk.
Last edited by Bob the nailer on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

There are a few rarely used powders that are very reliable, reasonably accurate, and possibly on your shelf. Part of the reason is they can be loud and or dirty. My own priorities in order were quiet, clean, accurate. 1-1.5 MOA at 200 is enough. Honestly you are probably taking sub-sonic accuracy farther than anyone I know of.

One of the powders in mind is 5744. It works very well in reduced loads being able to produce reasonable spreads. Lower pressure might be helpful with a plated bullet.

4198 and LT-30 are among others. If you can give me a length, I can at least check some load densities for powders you may not have on hand.

The AR cycling issue eliminates a few good powders that work well in low density loads, but won’t cycle. You have quite the challenge to get to 1/2 MOA, can’t wait to see it happen.

Always good to see your results and how you get the great consistency in your loads.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

dellet wrote:If you can give me a length, I can at least check some load densities for powders you may not have on hand.

Case trim 1.365"
C.O.L. 2.120" Base to tip of wedge bullet, with my compairator base to ogive 2.5674"
Converted Federal Commercial brass

Thanks for the additional help.

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com