Which way to go with upper optic

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Aggie
Silent Operator

Which way to go with upper optic

Post by Aggie »

I have a 16" upper with a sightmark photon 4.6 mounted on it that I've used looking around for hogs and coyotes at night. I know it works ok during the day, as I sighted it in that way, but I would prefer to have a larger zoom if I want to go out during the day and not take my remy. My eyes are going downhill a bit and I don't want to upset the landowner by taking an expensive animal.

Do the quick detach scope mounts hold zero as well as advertised? Or would I be better off building a new upper and swapping the lower between them? I figure the price of 2 reliable mounts wouldn't be much different than the price of a new upper.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which way to go with upper optic

Post by bangbangping »

When doing the calculations, keep in mind that a new upper usually leads to a new lower. :mrgreen:

Sorry, no experience with the quick detach mounts.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

Lol, I prefer to think that a lower would be a "future" purchase, as an upgrade, and not part of the initial investment :lol: it's all part of tricking the brain into agreeing.
FarmDad

Post by FarmDad »

Personally I would go with the second upper . QD mounts may or may not return to zero ( or close to it ) but a well mounted scope that isn't removed is pretty much on with the trouble of popping two pins and swapping the lower .
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I would also go with the second upper and dedicated optic. I have no experience with detachable mounts, but even if they do as advertised, the zero is going to be different on different guns so you'll have to go through that again.
Rebel turned me on to the Sightron S-tac scopes. a 4-20X50 is less than $400 @ Optics Planet and they are very nice optics for the $$$. I must like them, I have them on four rifles.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

bangbangping wrote:When doing the calculations, keep in mind that a new upper usually leads to a new lower. :mrgreen:
Tell me. That's how I ended up with 3 ARs.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

rlandry6 wrote:I would also go with the second upper and dedicated optic. I have no experience with detachable mounts, but even if they do as advertised, the zero is going to be different on different guns so you'll have to go through that again.
Rebel turned me on to the Sightron S-tac scopes. a 4-20X50 is less than $400 @ Optics Planet and they are very nice optics for the $$$. I must like them, I have them on four rifles.
The more I think on it, I am leaning more towards the second upper.

Never looked at Sightron before I've been wanting to try some of the Primary Arms offerings since they are about 30 minutes from me. After a failed hunting trip with a Millet not holding zero (the deer didn't even run I missed so bad) I've been using Vortex Vipers and scared to go back.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Aggie wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:I would also go with the second upper and dedicated optic. I have no experience with detachable mounts, but even if they do as advertised, the zero is going to be different on different guns so you'll have to go through that again.
The more I think on it, I am leaning more towards the second upper.

Never looked at Sightron before I've been wanting to try some of the Primary Arms offerings since they are about 30 minutes from me. After a failed hunting trip with a Millet not holding zero (the deer didn't even run I missed so bad) I've been using Vortex Vipers and scared to go back.
I also just ordered a Vortex Viper6-24X50. I've read so many reviews on them, I just had to try one. It's going on a Remington 700, either .308 or 22-250, haven't decided yet. If I don't like it, it will go on fleabay and I'll get another Sightron. At this time, my stable consists of 5 Sightrons, a Viper Red Dot & Magnifier on an AR, and the Viper on the way.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Bravo_Bravo
Silent Operator

Post by Bravo_Bravo »

I subscribe to Recoil Magazine and here is a reason why - a great article on QD mounts: https://www.recoilweb.com/guide-to-quic ... 57239.html Fortunately, non-subscribers can see this whole article.

Burris PEPR was the worst of the bunch at 0.223 MOA Zero Shift while the BOBRO was 0.016 MOA Zero Shift and several performed in between. I think you're pretty safe, even with the Burris unless you really start to push out your distance.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

Thanks for that article Bravo, that's a lot of testing that they went through for those and a really good write up. Now that does make my choice more difficult, I started down the new upper road a little this weekend and bought a blem nickel teflon from right to bear, but haven't done any serious damage to my credit card yet. More brain storming is required.

I think you're right that I'm pretty safe going the QD route.