Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by badguybuster »

I had excellent results with the 150 GD this past season. Shot a BIG doe in the neck, she was facing downhill toward me but quartering about 30 degree. 40 yards ish. It entered 6 inches above breast bone, broke her neck and deflected down off the spine and destroyed her heart and longs. She was obviously DRT but the blood loss was horrific. My step son used the same load to shoot a 6 point, he shot it directly behind the left front shoulder at 115 yards. It jumped and mule kicked but stumbled and dropped. By the time he walked up it was stone dead. Complete pass through with a heart center punch and broken offside shoulder.
Dyin aint much of a livin' boy
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Midway has them back in stock.

Sorry if old news, I have been watching and just found them.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

ok so what is missing is a COAL
and the load every one ended up using ,,,

and already OOS
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Saxon wrote:ok so what is missing is a COAL
In an AR you should be able to load mag length without hitting the lands. I believe that was the intent since this is a blackout bullet. In my rifle, 2.26" OAL puts the ogive ~.030" off the lands.

My load was for a 16" bolt action and OAL was around 2.270. Still have some testing to do to determine the optimum, but that length was the best I've tested so far and plenty accurate. 22.4 grains of Lovex Blackout gave 2170 fps (with suppressor) and a five shot ES around 20. I tested loads well over 2200 fps without seeing pressure signs, but still I wouldn't recommend anyone just taking my data and running with it.
Saxon wrote:and already OOS
They're that good! :mrgreen:
Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

bangbangping wrote:
Saxon wrote:ok so what is missing is a COAL
In an AR you should be able to load mag length without hitting the lands. I believe that was the intent since this is a blackout bullet. In my rifle, 2.26" OAL puts the ogive ~.030" off the lands.

My load was for a 16" bolt action and OAL was around 2.270. Still have some testing to do to determine the optimum, but that length was the best I've tested so far and plenty accurate. 22.4 grains of Lovex Blackout gave 2170 fps (with suppressor) and a five shot ES around 20. I tested loads well over 2200 fps without seeing pressure signs, but still I wouldn't recommend anyone just taking my data and running with it.
Saxon wrote:and already OOS
They're that good! :mrgreen:
hahahahaha I bet every one here who saw it was in stock bought them all lol
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Went to buy some from midway but sold out.
Seems they're taxing the orders now.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

In stock at mid-south if anybody is interested.
Stan1

Post by Stan1 »

Flatliner wrote:In stock at mid-south if anybody is interested.
Got a couple of boxes. Thanks
rb288
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rb288 »

Ok, so, I have been playing with this bullet for a while now, and am just starting to get it figured out.
However, it has raised a few questions.
I am shooting RAR 16" rifle and getting excellant groups, 1 moa or better @100 yds, with, 20.0, 21.0, and 23.0 gns of CFE BLK.
My only "issue", and I may be overthinking this, is that my velocities aren't what I think they should be.
Meaured with a Magneto Speed they are as follows, average for 5 round groups....
20.0 gn....1845 fps
21.0 gn...1959 fps
23.0 gn...2117 fps

The best group was the 21.0 @1959 fps, a .75moa group, the other 2 groups were at 1moa.
Am I being overly "velocity crazy"?
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi Dellet
It’s Gjs from the uk got RARR at last but for the price been very pleased with it. Shot a .15 inch group with subs at 25yards so keen to see what it will do at a 100.
Just wondered what make of supperssor you guys use on the Rugers as I want to shoot a mixture of jacketed and gas checked lead. Thinking short and fat as I don’t want to make the rifle feel long.

Cheers
Gjs