Abrasive wheel replacement for HF cut off saw?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

B y r o n

Abrasive wheel replacement for HF cut off saw?

Post by B y r o n »

So, I've picked up my HF cut off saw and getting ready to start making some brass. In my reading I came across a comment about the OE blades not lasting more than maybe 100 pieces of brass. Now that is a low number to me but I don't have the experience to say different. So I started to look for a better blade. What I ran across were NORTON 2" x .035" x 3/8" Cut Off Wheels.

Has any tried these or any other replacement blade for the 2" cut off saw? What was you experience with any of the available options?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Abrasive wheel replacement for HF cut off saw?

Post by bangbangping »

Every now and then, a reviewer is FOS. :lol:

Haven't tried a cutoff wheel, but the original blade that came with the saw has so far done over a thousand cases plus other odd jobs I use it for. I'd say wait until you actually have a problem before trying to fix it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

There were a fair amount of complaints about that when the cartridge was new and a lot of people were buying those saws.

The fix was to flip the blade around so the teeth were cutting the right direction :cry:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Yea, my blade went through at least 2k cases before I swapped it out for a better blade, and it wasn't because the OE blade was bad. Unless you simply want a better blade, I would stick with the originals, and they aren't that expensive either.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

dellet wrote:There were a fair amount of complaints about that when the cartridge was new and a lot of people were buying those saws.

The fix was to flip the blade around so the teeth were cutting the right direction :cry:
OK, pulled mine out of the box and double checked the blade rotation. Looks like I'm good to go!
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

bangbangping wrote:Every now and then, a reviewer is FOS. :lol:

Haven't tried a cutoff wheel, but the original blade that came with the saw has so far done over a thousand cases plus other odd jobs I use it for. I'd say wait until you actually have a problem before trying to fix it.
Omega wrote:Yea, my blade went through at least 2k cases before I swapped it out for a better blade, and it wasn't because the OE blade was bad. Unless you simply want a better blade, I would stick with the originals, and they aren't that expensive either.
Thanks guys! When I bought my saw I also bought the 3-blade replacement pack. I just figured that if these were going to be sub par that I'd find a replacement. Looks like that won't be for some time now.