AR pistol sight options

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Danno

AR pistol sight options

Post by Danno »

Starting a 10.5 pistol build to be used as a truck gun. Michigan crazy laws! I have a cpl so can legally carry a loaded handgun in my truck. All long guns must be unloaded, cased in a proper gun case and separated from the ammo. I can take a few inches off the barrel and replace the stock with a brace and leave it loaded behind on the seat. Any way I'm looking for opinions on sights. Was leaning to flip up bus but now thing that lining up a red dot might be more handy
FarmDad

Re: AR pistol sight options

Post by FarmDad »

I have two ar pistols . On my 5.56 I run a 1x4 scope and on my 300 I am currently running cheap night vision . I consider them 200(ish) yard guns and my old eyes aren't up to irons anymore . Red dots have never worked well for me either .
Danno

Post by Danno »

Curious on the night vision. What brand? 61 year old eyes here but don't want to go the scope rout. If I did the red dot should it be low on the rail or typical rifle height.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

On a serious note. Most eye's will respond well to viewing through circles. My irons I am basically looking through three that get smaller as they get closer to center. I can't say how much switching to this setup has helped being able to continue using irons

I use an aperture style rear sight, then in the front use an HK style with a hooded cross hair. If I could find a crosshair with a circle I would use it.

Basically this front sight

with this post

Not all that different than what I use one other rifles,

Eye disc with variable openings for light conditions.

Globe styke front sight.

Choice of sight inserts

one of the rifles, 22LR

far target is 100 yards

6" dot so I can see i, and it fits the sight circle well

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
FarmDad

Post by FarmDad »

Danno wrote:Curious on the night vision. What brand? 61 year old eyes here but don't want to go the scope rout. If I did the red dot should it be low on the rail or typical rifle height.
I went with a Sightmark photon It works good for what it is and it's price point .
I see they just came out with a new sightmark at shot show this year that is more " feature rich " but I dont know how good it actually is as opposed to their more plain jane models like I have
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

I have a Leupold 1.5-4X on mine. It is basic and works for me.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

I'm not really sure what you're issues are but here's what I've done on my 300BO truck "pistol".

I started out with a red dot, specifically a Holosun HS510C, great sight but I have a slight astigmatism and being accurate at distance was an issue. Next I added back up irons. Dellet has an excellent point about circles, so I got back up irons with the front like his first pic, and a rear with two hole sizes. I went with the LMT setup, steel, solid dents, lots of adjustment, and a thin rear sight so it blocks as little as possible. This setup worked decent, the large window red dot made it fast I didn't need my head in the right spot so the lack of decent cheek weld wasn't an issue. Then for precision I could flip up the rear sight and look at the dot through it. Looking through the peep hole very much reduced the flare on the dot from my astigmatism.

I still wanted to try and do better at distance so I recently grabbed a Holosun HS503G with the ACSS reticle and a 3x magnifier on a flip mount. Haven't shot it yet, so far it appears to be a trade off. I really like the reticle but it's really only useful under magnification, the window is smaller so my head position is a bit more important. This is of course more so with the magnifier but it with the ACSS reticle should make it quite easy to be more accurate at distance. Trade off accuracy for speed.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I can take a few inches off the barrel and replace the stock with a brace
Not legally you cant.

If your gun started as a rifle, it will always be a rifle. You need to begin your build with a virgin receiver and make it a pistol FIRST.

Taking an existing rifle and shortening the barrel, regardless of what stock or brace you put on it, is a big no-no without an approved form 1.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Danno wrote:Starting a 10.5 pistol build to be used as a truck gun. Michigan crazy laws! I have a cpl so can legally carry a loaded handgun in my truck. All long guns must be unloaded, cased in a proper gun case and separated from the ammo. I can take a few inches off the barrel and replace the stock with a brace and leave it loaded behind on the seat. Any way I'm looking for opinions on sights. Was leaning to flip up bus but now thing that lining up a red dot might be more handy
I don't love red dots, but this is the role where they really shine.

Get a durable one with a good battery life, and a tall enough mount that you don't have to fight for eye alignment.

You just leave it on 24/7 and replace the battery as part of your new years celebration.

When the sight works perfectly even if you got a hasty poor cheek weld, and you are in an ungainly position, you actually have something that makes sense for emergency use.

I happen to have a conventional nikon scope on mine that bottoms out at very low power and I prefer that to irons. It makes more sense as a hunting setup, but is plenty fast for close up action style shooting. It is a lot bulkier, but the gun is still very handy and well balanced.