Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by bangbangping »

Finally got a chance to poke a deer with a gold dot. No complaints, not that it was a serious test of bullet performance. Downhill shot at about 90 yards, bullet entered mid body right behind the shoulder, mushed the lungs, severed the aorta, took a chunk from the liver, and exited low just behind the last rib. Deer ran about 25 yards, stopped, started trotting back and fell on it's face. Lots of blood on the ground.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Here's the exit wound. It went though, not behind, the last rib. I shot another the next day, pretty much the same shot, with a 25-06 ballistic silvertip at 3000 fps and didn't even get an exit. :lol:
Last edited by bangbangping on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

^ that did the trick! 8) I've yet to shoot an animal with the G.D. didn't have any luck at the camp last weekend, the creek was still in flood from the storm a week or so ago. I only saw a big boar but couldn't get a shot. :cry:
peace through superior firepower
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Any chance Speer is going to load this as factory ammo since they advertise it as 300 BLK specific? I'll be perusing the entire thread for loading info but it would be cool to have some factory ammo for because.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

nolwark76 wrote:Any chance Speer is going to load this as factory ammo since they advertise it as 300 BLK specific?
No idea...I'm just hoping they make some more bullets. Wanted to work up a load for another rifle for a pig hunt next month and can't find them anywhere.

Edit: Can't find them anywhere at a place I would buy from.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

bangbangping wrote:Finally got a chance to poke a deer with a gold dot. No complaints, not that it was a serious test of bullet performance. Downhill shot at about 90 yards, bullet entered mid body right behind the shoulder, mushed the lungs, severed the aorta, took a chunk from the liver, and exited low just behind the last rib. Deer ran about 25 yards, stopped, started trotting back and fell on it's face. Lots of blood on the ground.
That's awesome! Nice exit wound on the pic too :)
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

nolwark76 wrote:Any chance Speer is going to load this as factory ammo since they advertise it as 300 BLK specific? I'll be perusing the entire thread for loading info but it would be cool to have some factory ammo for because.
I emailed them and asked from the view of a police department interested in a factory load for duty use. The response was that they have no plans to factory load it.

Grrrrrr!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Dellet did a great job of finding the lower velocity limit for with this bullet. I believe I found the upper limit this evening. Shot a big ugly pig in the neck around 70 yards with my American 30, MV around 2375 fps. It was getting late and very foggy, but appeared to be straight broadside. The bullet left such a mess I couldn't tell exactly what happened, but once I got it skinned I literally could (and did) stick my fist in the entry wound. Some part of the bullet exited the opposite side of the chest, broke the leg, and either turned or broke again and exited the inside of the hock going straight down. Definitely did the job, but maybe over expanded just a tad. :mrgreen:

Side note: Another guy shooting Remington Hog Hammer in a 300 BLK hit a 50-60 pound pig in the neck. Finally killed it after a total of five hits. Zero expansion.

Last edited by bangbangping on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote:Dellet did a great job of finding the lower velocity limit for with this bullet. I believe I found the upper limit this evening. Shot a big ugly pig in the neck around 70 yards with my American 30, MV around 2375 fps. It was getting late and very foggy, but appeared to be straight broadside. The bullet left such a mess I couldn't tell exactly what happened, but once I got it skinned I literally could (and did) stick my fist in the entry wound. Some part of the bullet exited the opposite side of the chest, broke the leg, and either turned or broke again and exited the inside of the hock going straight down. Definitely did the job, but maybe over expanded just a tad. :mrgreen:

Side note: Another guy shooting Remington Hog Hammer in a 300 BLK hit a 50-60 pound pig in the neck. Finally killed it after a total of five hits. Zero expansion.
How far did you have to track him :?:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:How far did you have to track him :?:
Fortunately, not at all. This is not a place where you want to track wounded hogs. Aside from the water and muck, I'm not sure you could see a blood trail through the mosquitoes at night. :lol:
Last edited by bangbangping on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.