Good deer killer

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Good deer killer

Post by wildfowler »

Shot this doe the other day. Didn’t weigh it but it was typical MS 1.5 year old deer. Probably 85-100 lbs?

My shot was only about 45 yards away and the deer was standing at a heavy angle quartering away from me. Rump was facing me standing motionless.

I have found a quartering shot like to be a very high percentage shot and picked an imaginary exit spot in the opposite shoulder and touched one off. I regret not measuring the amount of penetration but it appears to have easily gone 20” and then some.

Deer fell straight to the ground and never moved. If you see the emblem on the sling, that is the (approximate) location of the bullet entry on the opposite side of the deer and the bullet exit should be visible in the pic.

The Speer TNT is a great hunting bullet in my opinion.

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Good deer killer

Post by tikkablk »

Nice, what stock is that on your rifle?
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

That is a bell and Carlson Model 7 stock. As far as I know, it was the only one they made for model seven when I purchased it.

My rifle is not a factory rifle. It was an AAC model 7 individual barrel purchase, and I found an action at Pacific Tool and Gage. The action is stamped 300 blackout

I can load ammo for this rifle a little hotter than I would for an AR which makes it a little more fun in my mind.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
pikeonafly

Post by pikeonafly »

What weight bullet were you using ?
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

pikeonafly wrote:What weight bullet were you using ?

The Speer TNT in 30 caliber is 125 grains. I pretty much settled on this bullet for 300 BLK a long time ago.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

Good job!
pikeonafly

Post by pikeonafly »

Okay thank you. What is the longest shot you have made on a deer with that bullet?
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Nice kill WF. I've never hunted with it but the tnt has always been one of my favorite bullets. I keep a couple 50cal cans full of them as my "do it all" round.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

209 yards earlier this year is the longest to date. I didn’t find any blood on that one but came back with my thermal scanner and easily found the deer 50 yards away from where I shot it. I was in a shooting house on a food plot with a really good rest and felt good about the shot.

I shot another one about 150 yards away recently where the bullet must’ve hit the aorta in the heart and I’d thought the deer had lost every drop of blood in its body between where I shot it and where I found it 75 yards away. The whole shoulder and right front leg were completely covered in blood when I found the deer.

This is out of my bolt action and I’ve got the rounds “hopped up” for it. I’m not getting pressure signs in my bolt action rifle, but the round is way over gassed for my AR. I did test a couple, single fed on a magazine full of regular loads. Did not cycle correctly. In fact, one of them didn’t even eject. These cartridges will fit an AR magazine because the bullet is so short, but I’m loading it so long in the case that there’s no way it can feed without having the bullet get knocked off the case in an automatic.

I prefer to take closer shots with that blackout rifle.
pikeonafly

Post by pikeonafly »

Okay thank you. I will be picking up a Ruger American Ranch rifle soon. So would for deer size game keep your shots around 100 yds. to be safe and maybe go out 150 yds. for coyotes?