Question for Glock guys

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Question for Glock guys

Post by Flatliner »

I do a lot of backpacking and wanted a light pistol in 10mm for that use. I just purchased a G29 (compact concealed carry pistol) and plan on aggressively lightening it further with slide milling. Being 10mm, what design considerations do I need to think about? Will I need a beefier spring to account for the reduced slide weight? Is there something else I should be considering like porting? I know recoil management will be an issue but the idea behind the pistol is it is a backup item that adds as little weight to my kit as possible.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Question for Glock guys

Post by golfindia »

I love 10mm glocks....

What are you going to shoot out of it? If you intend to shoot real 10mm, like buffalo bore, double tap, or hand loads, I wouldnt lighten the slide. Increasing spring weight is only half of the equation. There is a reason the 10mm slides are meatier than any other in the glock lineup. The G29 will handle full house loads just fine the way it comes from the factory. If you are just going to shoot regular factory rounds, you may even benefit from a lighter spring.

A ported 10mm barrel will just throw flames into your field of vision, and decrease velocity. If you are going to shoot it frequently, a threaded barrel is nice to have for a compensator. All of the aftermarket barrels have better chamber support. Lone wolf, KKM, storm lake. Beneficial if you reload. The glock barrel feeds reliably, but trashes brass quicker.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

golfindia wrote:I love 10mm glocks....

What are you going to shoot out of it? If you intend to shoot real 10mm, like buffalo bore, double tap, or hand loads, I wouldnt lighten the slide. Increasing spring weight is only half of the equation. There is a reason the 10mm slides are meatier than any other in the glock lineup. The G29 will handle full house loads just fine the way it comes from the factory. If you are just going to shoot regular factory rounds, you may even benefit from a lighter spring.

A ported 10mm barrel will just throw flames into your field of vision, and decrease velocity. If you are going to shoot it frequently, a threaded barrel is nice to have for a compensator. All of the aftermarket barrels have better chamber support. Lone wolf, KKM, storm lake. Beneficial if you reload. The glock barrel feeds reliably, but trashes brass quicker.
Great questions. I don't plan on shooting it much but will carry it with the heaviest deep penetration rounds I can find. (Likely Buffalo Bore). For practice shooting I will likely use wimpy hand loads. The reason I want to lighten it is simply because any extra weight when backpacking and through hiking sucks. Most backpackers wouldn't consider carrying a handgun, I don't go places without one. Just trying to make it as painless as possible. I am not super concerned with long term, high round count, shootablitiy but I don't want to do anything that will prevent it from going bang in an emergency.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Leave something else out of your kit.

A 10% savings (which by percentage is a lot for a single item) in loaded weight will be about 3-4 oz. Most of that will have to come out of the slide and that's a lot of metal, maybe as much as 25% of the slide weight.

Probably 1/3 of the loaded weight will be ammo and magazine. You might be able to drill some holes in the magazine without possibly having a reliability issue like you might with a slide, but it won't amount to much.

3 pounds is a lot to add to a pack, but I don't think you will be able to drop it that much if you choose to carry it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

If you ever get any loads loaded to the original specs instead of the anemic factory loads of today you will regret any lightening. Full power 10mm can be a handful in a light gun. Remember too some of that weight in the slide may be there to delay slide opening, you could be tampering with something you may not want to. Just food for thought.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Yeah. Shoot 20 Buffalo Bore 200g hard cast through that gun before you start choppin :^)

Real 10mm ammo in a G29 is exciting.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

I wouldn't mess with it......maybe add some night sights.

I miss my 10mm's......used to have a gen 3 g29 and gen 1 g20, the full size feels better or more control while shooting, the 29 is very snappy.

Sweet guns...keep thinking about getting them again, still have dies and holsters brass and primers......... i love 10mm !

My 29 was my first pistol, got it from my Dad and wish i had never parted with it...
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

Thanks all, I get it and appreciate the advice. I am not new to the 10mm but my current 10mm is a S&W 1006. It weighs slightly less than a VW Bug and isn't unpleasant to shoot at all.
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by QuietMike »

Good advice so far.
In addition to buffalo bore, check out Lehigh's extreme penetrator rounds.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Flatliner wrote:I do a lot of backpacking and wanted a light pistol in 10mm for that use. I just purchased a G29 (compact concealed carry pistol) and plan on aggressively lightening it further with slide milling. Being 10mm, what design considerations do I need to think about? Will I need a beefier spring to account for the reduced slide weight? Is there something else I should be considering like porting? I know recoil management will be an issue but the idea behind the pistol is it is a backup item that adds as little weight to my kit as possible.
You're plan is absolutely foolhardy. The slide weight of a Glock 29 is already significantly below the slide weight of the full-size, and causes early unlocking, which is why Glock went with the dual-recoil-spring set up from the very first for G-29s. Those who have loaded 10mm to its original power already find the G-29 at the lower limit of safety for slide weight. Increased spring weight causes other problems too, such as slide closing speed, which leads to slide-over-base stoppages or failures to feed. This can be compensated for by additional-pressure mag springs to an extent, but there is still the slide closure-rate malfunctions. Then there is the early unlocking, so with the factory bbl., you get smileys, and so on.

If you plan on shooting full power ammo, leave the G-29 alone. If you're shooting 40 S&W level loads, you should look at a G-27 instead.