Insight on switching to a 6.5 inch barrel

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

brupe

Insight on switching to a 6.5 inch barrel

Post by brupe »

Howdy all,
New to the forum, new to shooting 300, first post.

I’m wanting to put a VSeven 6.5” match grade barrel on my 300 pistol. I would only run subs through it, always using a SilencerCo Octane suppressor (still waiting on the tax stamp).

My main reason I want a 6.5” barrel is to have the suppressor tucked in the handguard; I like the aesthetics, and appreciate the added length of the handguard.

Any advise, tips, reasons to/not to run a 6.5” barrel?

Thanks In Advance.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Insight on switching to a 6.5 inch barrel

Post by John A. »

Aesthetics doesn't make it sound any better.

If anything, the shorter barrel will allow more unburned powder into your suppressor, which will make it LOUDER.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

What John said. It will be loud, especially with factory ammo. As long as you're cool with that, go for it.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

You can still use a longer barrel and then use a longer handguard and still be able to cover over some of the suppressor if that's what you're going for.

Rifle length handguard over a 10 or 11 inch barrel or even full length handguards are available.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
brupe

Post by brupe »

John A. wrote:Aesthetics doesn't make it sound any better.

If anything, the shorter barrel will allow more unburned powder into your suppressor, which will make it LOUDER.
That’s what I read... I currently have a 10.5” on now; how much louder would the 6.5” be?
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

In fairness, I would have no way of guessing, but it would be louder nonetheless.

I have an 8.5" barrel and I wish that I had went with a 10 or 11 inch for that very reason.
brupe

Post by brupe »

Definitely something I need to consider before purchasing.
I appreciate the insight; thank you.
withoutremorse42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by withoutremorse42 »

brupe wrote:Definitely something I need to consider before purchasing.
I appreciate the insight; thank you.
I've had a couple V7 6.5"s, as well as other 4.75-7.5" barrels. I love the V7 and usually run it tucked. It's a nice barrel, I usually run Barnes 110's or Federal 120's through it, and it does very well with american eagle 220 subs as well as discreet ballistics 190's. It's a solid barrel!

[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I like the mp5sd handguard.

I looked into doing that with my integral AR9 that I made, but there would be no way that it would fit on mine. With my tube being 1.75" OD, I opted to use an M203 launcher handguard because I knew it would work better and overall I'm not disappointed in how it worked.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

For what it’s worth, an 8” barrel with a 7” suppressor with a 12” handgaurd, leaves 2” of suppressor past the guard. I wouldn’t go much less than that personally.

The shortest barrel I was comfortable with as far a noise is concerned was 7 1/2”. You could tell a noticeable change at every half inch. This is with carefully tuned handloads to minimize muzzle and port noise. I finally stayed with 8” after trying 8 1/2- 6 1/2. It was personal choice.

For length and handling I prefer the 8” barrel. For noise and faster shooting I prefer a 10” carbine gassed upper. It has less noise and recoil.

Both of Those are worthless without custom ammo.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.