Magpul Hunter American stock for the RARR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bdill
Silent Operator

Re: Magpul Hunter American stock for the RARR

Post by bdill »

Well I guess I’ll just have to go with the Boyd’s and a cdi dbm then. I love the magpul on my 700 with the only gripe being that I have to use a flexible cleaning rod bc the cheek weld is to high for a brass one. Other than that it is amazing. Did you ask him about removing material from the trigger housing so that it would sit higher in the stock? I believe the housing itself is around $30 without the magazine.

Could you post pictures of how far away the round is and any other angles that you can think of please?
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

The case rim is not even touched by the bottom of the bolt face/lug; it goes right over it, never making contact with the cartridge base to push the cartridge forward to chamber. The bottom of the bolt does lightly touch the side of the case about half way up. Removing material from the trigger housing would do nothing, as the top of the mag is already held up in the mag well as far as it will go. Even if you remove material from the top of the mag, it is held in position by the mag catch and thus will remain in the same position. The "nub" on the back of the mag where the mag catch catches it is in the same position on the Ruger AICS mags as the Magpul AICS .308 mag. Removing material voids the Magpul return policy. One could remove material from inside the stock to allow the action to be closer to the mag well by filing the bottom of the bedding blocks and sanding inside the stock with sandpaper wrapped around a round dowel, but that would void a return.

If you remove the stock and place the top of the mag in contact with the bottom of the action and cycle the bolt, it feeds and chambers.

The problem seems to be that the inside of the stock where it contacts the rifle action holds the action further away from the mag well than is needed. I suggested to Magpul that they need one internal dimension for .308 based rifles and another for .223 based rifles to hold each action the proper distance from the mag well for the bolt to contact the base of the cartridge. The .308 based cartridges being larger in diameter, naturally stick up more to contact the bolt. Magpul only tested the stock with an obsolete AI made polymer .223 mag, not with any modern made, available magazines. I suggested they spend $100 to $150 and purchase a MDT mag, a Ruger mag, and an Accurate mag, all in AICS .223 configuration.

The stock is being returned. I have a RMA number. I didn't feel it was right for the customer to have to buy various makes of mags to try and see what might work. It should work from the git go with minimum to no problems. 3 different mags were tried in 2 different RARR actions; all were no go, with the bolts going over all rounds. I am satisfied with Magpul taking the stock back. I did ask them to call if they find any of the stock dimension were "off" from their specs.

PS I can find no reviews of the stock in which it was used on a Ruger .223/Blackout rifle.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Upate to Hunter American stock and the RARR:

I've now found posts from other buyers in which the MDT and Accurate AICS pattern .223 mags will not feed. In the instance of the MDT failure, the poster told me that the MDT .223 mag is giving the same failure as my Ruger mags...the round is not held high enough to make base of case contact with bolt, thus the cartridge does not feed. The Accurate .223 mag owner simply said do not buy that mag, it doesn't work either. Users have started posting on Magpul's Facebook page asking what mag will work, and Magpul is not posting any answer. Magpul received my returned stock yesterday.

I really want the stock to work, as I had plans for the setup and had even bought higher rings and a larger scope to use with the stock.
snikskytter9

Post by snikskytter9 »

Whole Bunches wrote:After trying everything I could think of that wasn't destructive to the stock, it's being returned for a refund. If they find a defect, they are to call me and offer to send another stock with no such defect, which I will consider. I even went so far as to measure the bedding blocks and try them rotated 180 degrees and in different front to back positions, to no avail. Different torque on the screws didn't change anything. Since my mags work when held up to the rifle action with no stock in place, the stock itself is keeping the action further away from the mag well than is needed. He agreed with me that removing material from the top of the mag so it went further into the mag well would not work, as the mag catch position will only keep the mag so high in the well. One would need a longer mag catch to try that technique. He agreed that one couldn't remove enough of the feed lips from the Ruger mags to make a big enough difference, but thought one might be able to do it with a MDT mag.

Magpul tech guy was nice. He told me yesterday after I called and was told to buy a real AI made polymer .223 mag that Magpul investigated and found that (just as I had been told) AI had discontinued that mag a few years ago due to the seams separating. He apologized for the advice I was given. He admitted that Magpul had only used an original AI made polymer .223 in their designing and testing. He admitted that Magpul had not used any another make of AICS pattern .223 magazine in designing and testing. Other than the old AI mag they have, they can't guarantee any AICS pattern magazine will work. Again, I said Magpul needs to make a .223 AICS pattern magazine.

I said the Product Manager hasn't replied to my posts on their forum outlining all I have tried to make it work.

I pointed him to the Magpul forum posting in which the Product Manager said Ruger AICS pattern magazines were correct. He said he interpreted that as not saying the Ruger mags were correct. I said, that although posters try their best in writing answers, sometimes different interpretations are possible. Here's the post FYI: (I added the words Question and Answer)

Question: Just so I understand this correctly.....this stock should work with my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56? I just need aics style mags in .223? If so, I already have some of the steel and plastic factory Ruger .223 mags for a Ruger scout rifle. They are labeled as aics for Ruger Precision rifle and scout rifle.

Answer from Magpul: Yes, that is correct.

If anyone sees a real review of the Hunter American stock used successfully on a Ruger American in .223/5.56 or Blackout, I'd love to see it. So far, I can find no real reviews, only press releases and Magpul's short video announcements. It's a shame, the stock feels so good. Looks a big goofy with a bare 16" bbl, but add a suppressor, and it looks REAL NICE to me.
Yeah dude, its a shame. I received the hunter stock for the rar and have tried modifying MDT aics mags. I’ve tried multiple ammo types (Sig 125, Sig 220, Sig 120 HST, Hornady 110, Hornady 208, CORBON 240, Barnes 110, Black Hill’s 110, Black hills 201) and not one of fed well. Every single cartridge nosedived below the chamber.

What disappoints me the most, is the release of this stock assuming it wouldn’t be used by the 300 BLK crowd. The rifle is fantastic for the money and worth investing a build around the action. I have a Hunter 700 on a .308 and .260 Remington, not one issue ever. I smack 8” at 1000 all day with the .260 REM. My favorite rifle to shoot is the Ruger RAR .300BLK and it’s really disappointing. I balk at dumping another $70.00 on a steel AICS magazine in the hopes it works. Back to the crappy Ruger stock I guess. I’ll be sending the stock back along with the horrible thing they call a bipod.

It really sucks when a company you could always rely on goes to crap and costs you hundreds of dollars. I never thought Magpul would churn out garbage but after this stock and that “bipod” I guess another American company goes into the made in China filing cabinet.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

New Youtube video on the subject. https://youtu.be/qz6WasQhKss

Now, ONE person reports the MDT mag works in his RARR on the Magpul Facebook page, but all others say it doesn't. So far, Magpul has not refunded my $ on my returned stock, nor have they replied to me regarding my written comments on improvements to the internal dimensions or testing needed. They do have my physical address, phone number, and email address.

The higher rings and new scope I bought for my Hunter American 300 Blackout project sit unopened in their shipping box. Guess I can find another use for them or return them for refund if I don't wait too long. I may just listen to this song and have breakfast...it sorta fits the situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
Sheepdogleader

Post by Sheepdogleader »

I'm glad I seen this-I was thinking about the Magpul for a RARR in 300 I just bought. I already had it "saved" in a shopping cart. Didn't want to spend too much (i.e. more than the cost of the rifle) as this gun will not need to be ultra precise-just a good suppressor host.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Thanks for all the info and followup. Looks like I will be moving to a different Stock for my RARR.
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

This is a shame. I was considering another rifle just to outfit it with the magpul. Following to see what they do with your refund.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

RU Grendel wrote:This is a shame. I was considering another rifle just to outfit it with the magpul. Following to see what they do with your refund.
For refunds, they say:

"You should allow one to two billing cycles for the refund to appear on your statement."

Maybe by the time the refund shows, they will have developed their own magazine that works.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Refund credit showed up on my CC account yesterday. Will monitor reviews to see if the situation is ever corrected.