What are people shooting in their ar pistols.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

45r
Silent But Deadly

Re: What are people shooting in their ar pistols.

Post by 45r »

Shot some DS265 PC'ed bullets over 8.9 grains accurate#9 today in my 9 inch BA barrel.
Groups were around 1 inch with a RDS at 55 yards.
It ran fine with no jams.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

10" Faxon barrel

Various jacketed

182 grain RNFP Lyman powder coated

Didn't like working with the Lee 160 2r in my tests

Cut that mold down to 125 grains, and it's the main one so far. Also tested in a few other guns. Recently discovered that it bangs into some feed ramps and dings the nose on the diagonally opposite side of the chamber. OAL tweaking fixes that, but I think a sleeker profile would not even care. I really want something like this in a 5r profile, with a blunted nose at 125grains.

Just got the lee 230 for cheap, and am probably going to make it a ~168 grain flat base. We'll see how that turns out.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

GunFunZS wrote:10" Faxon barrel

Various jacketed

182 grain RNFP Lyman powder coated

Didn't like working with the Lee 160 2r in my tests

Cut that mold down to 125 grains, and it's the main one so far. Also tested in a few other guns. Recently discovered that it bangs into some feed ramps and dings the nose on the diagonally opposite side of the chamber. OAL tweaking fixes that, but I think a sleeker profile would not even care. I really want something like this in a 5r profile, with a blunted nose at 125grains.

Just got the lee 230 for cheap, and am probably going to make it a ~168 grain flat base. We'll see how that turns out.
Have you checked your feed ramps to see if they have 30 caliber feed ramps or 22?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

They very much look like standard M4 ramps.

I am aware of the value of re profiling. So far each of the barrels I have tested these loads in has had nominal M4 ramps with some differences in how sharp and rough they feel. IMO if the bullet feeds in guns from the factory, that's a good thing. IIRC, they were a CMMG pistol, CMMG 16" and this faxon 10" and I think a PSA somewhere or other, but that one might be in my head.

Once I am confident of that, I will improve the feed ramps on anything my brother or I own too. I just want to make sure the cartridge as loaded is plug and play n any off the shelf gun before I tweak the barrel extension.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

It's kinda disgusting, because I thought I had found an OAL to lock down and standardize on. That way I can tune the other variables of the load.