How big is to big???

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BabixzRacing

How big is to big???

Post by BabixzRacing »

Im planing a hunt for me and my two boys in feb and think of a smaller red stag around a 4x4. Just checking to see if I would have any issue. It will be a ar platform SBR.Should I do a 110 gr or go 220 ish

This will be a Texas hunt and I need to make the most of it. I only get to come home 1 or 2 times a year.

Hell if we have to we can trun on the heat and go full auto...

Thanks for yout help.

---
Regards, Ferdy RatTara.
Fitness coach and entreprenuer.
---
If you are overweight, please click here:
https://bit.ly/2OVvrtg
---
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Re: How big is to big???

Post by tikkablk »

I’ve shot plenty of red stags and some weighing over 200 kgs/400 lbs. I mostly use Lehigh 168gr CF and 194gr ME subsonics, also run 125gr BT supers. I can’t see problem using 110gr Barnes supers or a other top quality subsonic expansion projectiles.
I will double tap them if the first shot placement doesn’t look good just in case I get a runner and two holes in the heart and lungs is better than one. If I can get a steady rest or a close calm under 80m shot I’ll head shoot them ( I had lots of practice culling thousands of goats and deer in New Zealand).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

For many years I was never a proponent of head shots... But the accuracy, repeatable shots and most of all, the confidence that this lil 300 affords has really changed that.

I can say with all honesty, in almost 40 years of hunting, If you could count the number of deer/hogs I have head shot, You would not need half the fingers of one hand... But today, 8 years after picking up a 300 Black out. You would need a friends hands, as well as one of your own hands to count them all...

It flat is that accurate, That confidence inspiring and I shoot it enough to have ultimate confidence that the bullet will fall with in 1/2" of where I want it to every time. (Inside 100 yards)

Good luck,
CW

PS, Hunting a Royal, Red Stag is near the top of my own bucket list, I am jealous.
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Which ever one you know how to shoot accurately.

Subsonic loads make range estimation very important.

Verify, both with a chronograph and in paper, the velocity of subsonic rounds. Changes in velocity are more noticeable with subsonic rounds.

Subsonic loads are fun and work well but require more time and skill to shoot accurately at longer distances.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

You'll be just fine with a 110gr.
110gr V max are my go to load and they've killed near 100 red deer. Big heavy stags, hinds, fawns all don't often take another step. 300m is about as far as I sling them on deer now, that's my comfort killing distance. Any further I pull out the .308.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

You here that boys? The down under man with a plan doesn't pull out the 308 until 300. Man has killed more deer than blue tongue is telling you what it will do in capable hands - done. Go NZ! Where is your dime shot Waliker? Or your rubile or monkey nut, whatever coin y'all use that is around a 1/2 inch. Get after it man!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

rebel wrote:You here that boys? The down under man with a plan doesn't pull out the 308 until 300. Man has killed more deer than blue tongue is telling you what it will do in capable hands - done. Go NZ! Where is your dime shot Waliker? Or your rubile or monkey nut, whatever coin y'all use that is around a 1/2 inch. Get after it man!
Challenge accepted sir I think I'll refresh myself with the rules.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Good deal Walker! Look forward to seeing it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.