follow up on CZ accuracy problems

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

farright

follow up on CZ accuracy problems

Post by farright »

Last March I posted on the lack of accuracy with my CZ m-527 Blk Out. To sum up I couldn't get it to group with anything I tried. The first thing I did after making the screws were all tight and the barrel was not rubbing on anything was to make a chamber cast. This rifle had no leade into the rifling. the chamber was just cut off square with no taper at all. I wanted to run a throating reamer in and lengthening the throat to allow heavy bullets to be seated without going below the case neck. My rifle needs a nice 1.5-degree leade cut smooth and a bit longer than normal. As a cast bullet shooter, the throat having the right taper is very important..
It was my intent to post much sooner but I didn't find a day without high wind to test my rifle. I have now shot good groups with 2 different cast bullets. The Lyman 311679 with 14.3gr. of 4198 will now group just under an inch when I do my part once in a while. I also shot one group with a rcbs mould that i had nei put a DD band on the nose. I only had enough ammo to shoot one group, but it was right at an inch with the same charge of 4198. There are better powders and i have not played with seating depth. It may not be important with jacketed bullets but with cast the taper of throat is one of the most things to accuracy. At least now i am beginning to like the little rifle, before this session i was about ready to either sell it or put it into the back of the same. but it wont shoot jacketed bullets worth beans
Last edited by farright on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: follow up on CZ accuracy problems

Post by dellet »

Good to hear that’s working out a bit better for you now. Cast can be very frustrating I know. I have given up shooting it a couple of time. Was actually trying some today and couldn’t get a group better than 3” at 50 yards. Switched to jacketed just to make sure the rifle was not the problem and first three bullets were less than 3/4”.

Guys that can trouble shoot cast problems have my respect.

Look forward to seeing some fun results.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
farright

Post by farright »

Of my big problems is i am never completely satisfied with my shooting, i always want the next group to be better than the last. It is just fun to try to shrink the groups a bit by trying a different bullet, powder or whatever. The fun comes from improvement. I think i will try the lyman 311284. i would really like to try a few of the Accurate 240 gr. bullets with the 1 in 7 twist that should work well.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

While I am not the cast shooter that other guys are here, I found it disappointing to here that CZ had issues. I sold my RARR and bought a CZ. Never had an issue, super high quality rifle and accurate as hell. When it comes to this cartridge and bolt guns, like the the early days of ARs, it seems there is a learning curve concerning manufacturers.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
farright

Post by farright »

I think the problem is the fast twist with cast bullets. I have 3 boxes of factory jacketed ammo to test. If they work I want to test cast at a low velocity low pressure like around 1100 fps. just under the speed of sound. maybe the lower pressure and speed will help. All I really need for power is enough power to go through one sheet of paper at 100 yards. Seems like I have been to busy to make it to the range that will change tomorrow, if the wind isnt blowing I will report back with results. I keep targets I shoot and must admit there are more over an inch than under, but I sure like to have a few good groups mixed in with the bad ones.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

The is issues are working out for you.

All of my CZs are accurate and reliable.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Perhaps you should change the title to " cast bullet accuracy trouble with CZ" . Sounds like it's really not the rifle at all.
farright

Post by farright »

rebel wrote:Perhaps you should change the title to " cast bullet accuracy trouble with CZ" . Sounds like it's really not the rifle at all.
Pretty sure it is not my loads as I have also shot a lot of jacketed bullets through it just mention the factory loads... but to update you I just got an e-mail from CZ today and they are replacing the rifle should be here Thursday. I dont think they would replace a rifle with nothing wrong with it. very happy you knew what the problem was.
i will update after i get a chance to take it to the range
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

farright wrote:
rebel wrote:Perhaps you should change the title to " cast bullet accuracy trouble with CZ" . Sounds like it's really not the rifle at all.
Pretty sure it is not my loads as I have also shot a lot of jacketed bullets through it just mention the factory loads... but to update you I just got an e-mail from CZ today and they are replacing the rifle should be here Thursday. I dont think they would replace a rifle with nothing wrong with it. very happy you knew what the problem was.
So happy that your problem is being taken care of.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

farright wrote:
They are replacing the rifle after you reamed the chamber? Wow, that's good to hear. My CZ still has an extremely sticky bolt, and I have used all kinds of methods to try and smooth it out with no joy. I will have to contact CZ and see if they will take mine back for R/R.