Need Assistance with New 300 BLK Build!!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

asdftehlurr

Need Assistance with New 300 BLK Build!!

Post by asdftehlurr »

So, I'm new to the fascinating world of guns and am currently in the process of building a 300 Blackout rifle. I plan on using supersonic ammunition only (I live in a liberal state, meaning my state doesn't allow suppressors, therefore eliminating the need to use subsonic ammo), and I've run into issues regarding my eagerness to include a retrofit piston kit in the gun. My question is: does anyone know of a piston kit that works with SUPERSONIC, not subsonic, 300 Blackout ammunition no problem? Additionally, could one provide a link to said piston kit? I've read that Superlative Arms is going to release a new 300 BLK piston kit, but there's been no release date announced and I worry it might only work with subsonic ammo.
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need Assistance with New 300 BLK Build!!

Post by ozleux »

https://suparms.com
I used one of these that worked well on supersonic loads. If you're LE or a vet, email them your DD-214 or LE credentials, and they'll give you a 20% discount.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

I will be the antagonist and ask why you want a piston kit? DI continues to work even after 50 years. By using an adjustable gas block and/or changing buffer weights you can tune a rifle the way you want and is cheaper as well. Educate me.
asdftehlurr

Post by asdftehlurr »

Thanks to ozleux for the link! As for smustian, I did say I'm new to this whole firearms thing, so I'd be glad to learn more about DI and its benefits, but for now pistons seem more attractive to me for the time being. Perhaps later I'll change my mind.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

I know what you said. Just saying do lots of reading and watch videos on Youtube. Pay closest attention to people that are instructors or have high round counts every year. They will be able to tell you the pros and cons of each such as failure rates, ease and cost of repairs, etc. DI guns will get much dirtier from the gas blow back to the bcg but I do not mind cleaning my weapons after shooting. After researching, get what makes you happy.
Kelveeno

Post by Kelveeno »

What is the intended application for your rifle? Home defense? hunting? plinking? experimental forway into something other than 5.56?

I used to want a Piston build, but the more I researched it, I decided against it. I'm very happy with the DI build. It can shoot supers and subs, suppressed or unsuppressed with no problems. I don't own a piston AR so I cant say much about them other than they cost more. Google "piston AR carrier tiit". Be aware that it's out there, but there are ways to mitigate it in your build. DI has decades of proven use, you just need to clean it regularly. I have hard-chromed BCG to make cleaning easy.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

asdftehlurr wrote:Thanks to ozleux for the link! As for smustian, I did say I'm new to this whole firearms thing, so I'd be glad to learn more about DI and its benefits, but for now pistons seem more attractive to me for the time being. Perhaps later I'll change my mind.
When I first started looking at buying or building an AR (of any type) I was fixated on piston systems. Fortunately I had a lot of really good guidance by some big names in the firearms industry that laid it out there for me.

Piston systems do run great, but they are NOT cleaner running than any other system, especially when suppressed. This is a giant myth but one that still gets passed around the internet.

What most piston systems do have though are proprietary parts. While you may be able to swap out this part or that, there are almost always parts that are exclusive to the specific manufacturer on those guns. I am not talking about specific to piston systems. I am talking about the parts do not interchange between manufacturers like say a 'mil spec' part would in theory do.

The guy that helped me then proceeded to list off about a dozen defunct firearms manufacturers, all of which made piston driven systems. Unfortunately lots of past customers were left pretty much high and dry when they needed those specific parts in question. Entire police departments had to reconfigure their whole armory because of stuff like that. If the manufacturer isn't a big name or producing guns for government use, there is a high probability at some point you will be hunting down some exorbitantly priced component, or in a worst case scenario seeing if someone can remanufacture those parts for you, or just abandoning it entirely.

It might not EVER happen, but then again it might, and has happened to people, a lot of them in fact. You don't hear about it often because those companies were not widespread and not everyone jumped on the piston bandwagon.

With a gas system gun the parts are the parts. You can generally cross fit parts with a whole lot of choice for replacement. Everything from BCG to gas tubes to gas blocks are generally standard stuff.

When you go piston though it's like buying legos that have different spacing than regular legos.

Piston systems have their own set of issues. Carrier tilt is one. That means that piston that blows the bolt open pushes harder on the top of the (specialized) bolt carrier group causing it to tilt. It can be fixed of course, but it isn't cheap.

Also piston systems are generally more heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to throw your choice under the bus, but I am trying to give you the reality like it was given to me, which now I am very grateful for.

Piston systems will always be around in some form or another. This is true. They however are not widely adopted and in the situation where something goes wrong you might look for customer support and not find it. It could be anything from 'that is a discontinued item' on to the company merged and changed product line ups all the way to the company simply doesn't exist anymore.

Right now those proprietary piston systems look cool, but no one I know can tell you what will happen next week, much less two or three years from now.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

Kelveeno wrote:DI has decades of proven use, you just need to clean it regularly.
By 'regularly' every 5000 rounds or so should be ok. :lol:

People have ran DI guns for 10,000 rounds, suppressed, and never did much other than dump lube on them.

They are not as dainty as some people who are trying to sell you something else might try to make it sound.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Piston AR15s are a solution looking for a problem.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Aftermarket AR piston kits are Rube Goldberg. Never understood the appeal of paying $$ to make a reliable system more complex than it needs to be