Perfect 300 BO Cast Boolit

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

bluejay75

Perfect 300 BO Cast Boolit

Post by bluejay75 »

Greetings fellow 300 Blackout shooters,

Lets design the perfect 300 Blackout supersonic and subsonic cast boolit.

I am one of 6 Honchos for Mihec molds and would be proud to run a design that is developed here.

Please share your winning cast loads for supersonic and subsonic.

Include (copy and paste and fill in):

Supersonic or Subsonic-
Firearm-
Bullet designer weight and lube (link to mold specs if possible)-
Powder and charge-
COAL-
Primer-
Brass-

Im working for you...lets get a good one going. Depending on nose it may or may not be able to be hollow pointed.

Bluejay
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Re: Perfect 300 BO Cast Boolit

Post by Flatliner »

I am DEFINATELY not an expert BUT If the subsonic design is a hollow point, I am in for a mold on that at least. My request would be that the running assumption be that the bullets will be powder coated.

SOOOOO, here would be my requests/ideas.

* 200 gr or more cast weight
* Powdercoat friendly design
* Hollow point option
* AR friendly from a nose design standpoint
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I have designed bullets for the 300 Blackout. I have 3 under my belt, one wildly successful, one not so much and my latest is getting a following as an accurate, hard hitting bullet.

My latest design is a bullet that weighs 265 grains using 92-6-2. It IS the heaviest cast bullet designed specifically for the 300 Blackout. It was optimized for powders and charge weights used in the 300 Blackout. Case full is very important to accuracy so it is accurate, especially without load development, in most guns. It is stable in 8 twist barrels at subsonic velocities and in 10 twist barrels with velocities ~1,100 fps. It is more stable than a 200 SMK at the same velocity. Using the Miller formula it has a stability rating identical to a 155 SMK. It also feeds from an AR magazine. And because it is so heavy it requires less powder to function and less powder means less gas so it is quieter when used with a silencer. It also allows the use of non standard powders. It hits with authority, powers through bone better than most other subsonic bullets and creates a substantial wound channel as it tumbles.

If you want to work together I would be glad to help. I already have drawings for a 300 Blackout optimized bullet weighing ~150 grains and a ~200 grains.

I wanted to produce them commercially but I could not find a mold maker that could make them for Magma casting machines. Well I found some but their quality control sucked.

What is the max length you can cut a cavity?
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bluejay75

Post by bluejay75 »

I know that MIHEC makes magma molds. I will ask him what the maximum length that he can cut.

Share a link to your designs in the meantime. I would really like something and 200 grains with enough nose to Hollow Point.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

31-142C PCd 2100 fps 16gr H110, MOA. Slightly modified 308W chamber style. Feeds well for good wide M4 ramps & modified Pmag. One could up the weight (& BC - it's ~ 2.0) a bit with smaller meplat. It's PB but a shank could be added. Long body fills BO throat. If a do-over, I'd make the step angle smaller - thick PC gives me a jam every once in a while. Best I can tell, slight bit less accurate than hornady 150SP. Alloy is a little harder than WDWW. Working with a PB RD style 170gr, results promising but not final. I don't do subs and see no advantage for HP, maybe just a slight cup?
Yugnat

Post by Yugnat »

What would be really, really great is the 312-160-FN sized at 310, without the grooves and maybe a small bevel at the base. That I'd definitely buy
I think it'd be compliant with popper suggestions.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Yugnat wrote:What would be really, really great is the 312-160-FN sized at 310, without the grooves and maybe a small bevel at the base. That I'd definitely buy
I think it'd be compliant with popper suggestions.
With coated bullets you can go full boat tail to improve accuracy at longer ranges.

NOE, yuck, makes a .308 air rifle bullet that has a nice boat tail. I have often wondered about what I could use it for so I could give it a try. I do not shoot supersonic and I have other bullets I use for lightweight plinkers so I am not sure if it has a role in my stable.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I am just delving here too.

I have a couple reg 30cal molds and all have been so so. I took a NOE 165 spitzer and powder coated it then sized 311 and it shot best so far for a cast for me. (Super)

I ordered a LEE 230g bullet. Some like some don't. But its what I bought so its what I'm gonna try for a while. Just got the mold this past week and hope to cast some this weekend. So at least a week out till I get to shoot any. Probably a couple weeks Plus I prefer to season my cast bullets a season before expecting allot from them.

I'll watch and read what transpires here.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

The Lee 230 is a great bullet once you put a coating on it. Without coating it I, like many, had nothing but problems. Once I started coating them they worked really well. Not as well as my bullet but they worked well enough.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:The Lee 230 is a great bullet once you put a coating on it. Without coating it I, like many, had nothing but problems. Once I started coating them they worked really well. Not as well as my bullet but they worked well enough.
Good to read DS!

I did get some cast Friday night. I coated about 50 and shot ten Sunday. My load was A1680 10.2g and averaged 1040fps. Accuracy was 2" @ 50 yards.

But they only weigh 220g!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS