2018 shooting challenge

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2018 shooting challenge

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

bearcatrp wrote:
dellet wrote:
bearcatrp wrote:I have a new 3 stage snow blower that you can rent from me. Thing has power steering too to help traverse that deep snow. What state it that picture?
Top pic of the house was I believe Heart Butte, Montana. East side anyway. Bottom pic was random. We only had a couple feet from that storm.

Here's video of clearing the highway after the same storm.
https://youtu.be/4EZV8WaZn6A
Thats some serious snow. Wow. Bet you don't have problems with illegals over there. They see that crap and they are out of there.
Yeah.....they moved to Wyoming near me.......

Ive been wanting to get out and shoot to participate in the comp.........got the brass all prepped, but we just had our 4th and i managed to reck my car a 1/2 mile from the house driving home 30 miles to get my wife and go to hospital.........so all is well now, but got court next week...maybe i can load some this weekend and attempt to get a target pict in for effort.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Hmmmmm.....it's May. Snow has thawed.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:Hmmmmm.....it's May. Snow has thawed.
I was thinking of not leaving the front porch just yet. :shock:
Please keep our dear Amber Kornak and her family in your thoughts and prayers. As those who know her may know, it has been Amber’s dream to work with grizzly bears. She recently accepted a seasonal position in Libby, Montana for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as a Grizzly Bear Wildlife Technician.

On the morning of Thursday, May 17th, 2018, while working alone remotely in the Cabinet Mountains south of Libby, MT she was mauled by a bear, suffering 2 skull fractures as well as severe lacerations to her head, neck, and back. As the bear attacked her from behind she was able to reach her bear spray and spray the deterrent to ward off the bear, and also spraying herself. Amber's wildlife training skills kicked in, and she somehow managed to stay calm and hike 2 miles from the site of the attack to her work vehicle where she then drove to find help.

She endured 4 grueling hours of surgery to remove bone fragments and clean wounds to her brain. Metal plates and screws were placed on her skull and drains were placed in her brain to relieve brain swelling and drain fluid. Her condition is now stable, and she is recovering in the ICU where they can keep her comfortable with pain medications and monitor her for seizures (from the brain swelling) and watch for signs of infection (from the extent of her wounds).
http://www.krtv.com/story/38232901/bear ... -kalispell
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

100 yards off bags on a folding table with an AR, SBR. Took 7 shots to get it done after working up a load at 50.

Thought I could get it done in 3.

Loaded up 5 more and got it on #4

8", 1/5 Twist, XCaliber barrel
Trijicon 1X6 Accupoint, MIL Dot.
Speer 150 GD BLK
18.5 11FS
Norma Brass once fired
1890 FPS.

We need a few more people to step up and give it a go. It's tough, but gives you a good reason tighten up your loading process. Shooting for groups and shooting for hits is always a different game.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

What classic are you gonna use for open class dellet? And before you even ask, yes, if you are going to use open sights you can drop some yardage or stick to 100 and use a quarter.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Thanks for the revival here fellers. I need to get out shooting but the fishing has been so good lately it's taken up most of my free time.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Took it back out today to the local range. It's actually 100 meters, 110 yards. Exact same load, Temp was within 5 degrees, shooting north instead of south. None of that should have made this much difference in point of impact.

The biggest difference was the target yesterday was in the shade, 50 yards into the woods. Today was bright sunlight and a fair amount of mirage effect. This is a 2" dot. 1" high, 1" left.

Here is yesterdays view of the target. The close one is 50, directly behind on the tree is 100, sorry bad pic.

Pics through the scope never quite work

Todays results, same zero, 10 yards longer. A long way to say shooting groups and shooting exact targets are just a bit different. Rebel has some insights into the effects of mirage on dope settings.

Lets see some others give it a try.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet wrote:
Todays results, same zero, 10 yards longer. A long way to say shooting groups and shooting exact targets are just a bit different. Rebel has some insights into the effects of mirage on dope settings.
I have considered a write up of the info I have gleaned about the effects of light, mirage and wind. dellet experienced some of that today.
I can't quite quantify the effects, I just know that they happen. I hope more folks try this challenge. I will consider a write up if there is any interest.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Apparently there is a severe lack of interest or past 40 yards is to much to hit a dime. Well, we had shooters on this forum at ne time - willing to share info and have fun. Guess Bob's the last of them - the rest can't hang I reckon........
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:What classic are you gonna use for open class dellet? And before you even ask, yes, if you are going to use open sights you can drop some yardage or stick to 100 and use a quarter.
22LR

Dialing in at 50

Wanted a better example, pretty sure this one was centered, but couldn't find the dime

Here's where it went through the backer.

Got rained out Saturday evening, so made some sight adjustments to get ready for 100 yards. Vernier sights take a bit to get used to and if the barrel length is not right exact adjustments are impossible.

The view to be target at 100

It took a bit to walk it in. For reference that's a 6" dot, I needed something I could see at 100 yards. I used 3 shot groups that are numbered. First shots with the nickel on were groups 5 & 6. Adjustment was made between 4&5 then moved it back halfway for round 6. Estimated 6 MOA of elevation, needed 7 and half a line.

The wind was 12-15 mph gusts it shows in the horizontal. I am reasonably protected in the tress, but the target was actually mounted on the base of a tree about 125' tall.

Front sight insert I used.

Windage adjustment. One line is basically 1 MOA.

Elevation adjustment. Each time a new line, lines up is 1 MOA. That's .010" movement.

Eye piece with multiple apertures. Adjustment for light conditions

Weekend worth of participation trophies. Dimes at 50 then chickened out at 100 and used a nickel.

Ammo used was Federal Gold medal HV Match.

Good challenge Rebel, makes you work a bit harder than just shooting groups. Actually have to hit something.