Out there doing it still

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Out there doing it still

Post by Walkers Bay »

We've been out doing some pre roar (rutt) scouting. The difference is we can hunt while doing it.
The ridge is high enough you can see most of the Southland plains, all the way to the coast and 1 city and 4 major towns.
Oh and the stags up here are BIG and this wasn't the biggest print i found. I'm thinking maybe some Wapiti cross
Checking out and having a break in a bush clearing, pigs deer and in big numbers have been frequenting this spot. We disturbed a stag not far from here.
Getting ready to climb out.

We got the stags roaring on dark.
Spot lighted our way out and seen 7 deer and shot a yearling in a lightening storm.

Foot note i after my gun got a free bath in a storm i decided it was time to pull the rail and clean the barrel.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Out there doing it still

Post by blaster »

nice pics. beautiful country. one day I hope to visit NZ. (and do some hunting.)
peace through superior firepower
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Seems like I read somewhere that Australia had a big anti AR thing recently. Looks like New Zealand did not follow suit. Good deal.

We need to send pictures to our Pres of people in other countries using ARs for hunting purposes.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Dam that’s a big print. No way I would be up there with a bolt action. Nice pics of the country. I want to go on a hog hunt some day. Another back surgery coming up so maybe next year head down to Texas or Florida. Have my 300BO set up with my thermal so a night shoot would be fun.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

bearcatrp wrote:Dam that’s a big print. No way I would be up there with a bolt action. Nice pics of the country. I want to go on a hog hunt some day. Another back surgery coming up so maybe next year head down to Texas or Florida. Have my 300BO set up with my thermal so a night shoot would be fun.
I'm thinking about a thermal to carry. The idea of looking around everything while pointing a rifle didn't give me a good feeling.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Only need one on point to do the searching or setup zones for each so no one gets shot. Can always remove it to scan too. Has quick connect.
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

That barrel is in a bit of a mess, what's the inside like?
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

:shock: :shock: wow, that barrel looks like a good candidate for some kind of coating after you get it cleaned up!! ....even if its something as simple as some automotive engine VHT spray can paint or a BBQ kettle VHT spray can paint :shock: :shock:
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

r.tenorio671 wrote::shock: :shock: wow, that barrel looks like a good candidate for some kind of coating after you get it cleaned up!! ....even if its something as simple as some automotive engine VHT spray can paint or a BBQ kettle VHT spray can paint :shock: :shock:
I was impressed. All that junk and blood wiped clean and it's still blue-black and shiney as when I fitted it.
The inside of the barrel gets the odd brush through it and kept tidy as does the rest of the gun it was like a experiment.
A shot of Remington oil was all that it had and that's what's on on it again.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Been hammering the hills hard for 2 4 day weekends running now. Heard plenty of stags. Even stalked and roared in one to 20m. Had my 9 year old daughter with me for that. She was shaking with adrenalin after that big fella going nutts so close.

She come with me Saturday for another walk in the spot above . On dark we get a couple going as we returned to the truck. She said come on let get him. Down hill in the cut over heading back into the bush to the clearing in the photos i spot a hind. Said to her should we shoot that. Ok.
I line up and it dropped. Then all hell broke loose and deer start going left and right. I swung right and dropped 3 more hinds on the run.
After the 2 of us packed out the hind legs and back steaks to the truck it was well dark but she's a trooper carried a stack of steak out.