New 220 Nosler BT' Range Report... Problems.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Klem
Silent But Deadly

New 220 Nosler BT' Range Report... Problems.

Post by Klem »

Anyone have any idea as to why these new bullets are tumbling?

Bought a box and was load testing at 100yards. Result are that most tumble sideways through the target. Took the suppressor off after the first round and continued without it (too expensive to risk damage).

Results are as you would expect, except for the stability of the bullet.

Barrel, 1:7, 12.5"
Speed of sound, 1140fps on the day.

Anyone else have any experience with this bullet?
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Re: New 220 Nosler BT' Range Report... Problems.

Post by pruhdlr »

My guess would be. - - -> bullets rotational velocity . . . ?
No . . . Really . . . It could be that the nose profile is slowing them down more than anticipated out past the chrono. What is the B.C. of these bullets ?? Rough and/or dirty bore could be another thing I suppose. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

pruhdlr wrote:My guess would be. - - -> bullets rotational velocity . . . ?
No . . . Really . . . It could be that the nose profile is slowing them down more than anticipated out past the chrono. What is the B.C. of these bullets ?? Rough and/or dirty bore could be another thing I suppose. --- pruhdlr
The bullets are impacting the target at 100yards at between 940 and 970fps depending on the load. I am using a Lab Radar which records the velocity at various increments downrange.

The barrel is not 'rough' or overly 'dirty'. I fired about 40 220gn Sierra Match Kings during the same session without issue. They pencilled the target a usual. The barrel is a Ranier Ultramatch.

I have contacted Nosler but they have yet to respond. Just wondering if anyone out there has used these. I'm thinking they might be spinning too fast with the 1:7 twist, or just defective.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

A lot of people have had trouble with them. First thing I would do is physically check twist rate of the barrel. Then start at 10 yards to check stability, then you will know if it's ever stable.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=101041
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

The rotational velocity of your load is <100,000 RPM. That is super slow for any bullet.
Got a 308Win ?? See what happens if you push them at 2000fps or even max vel from a 1:10 twist bbl. They would be at 144,000. --- pruhdlr
STONER 63A / XM177E2
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

pruhdlr wrote:The rotational velocity of your load is <100,000 RPM. That is super slow for any bullet.
Got a 308Win ?? See what happens if you push them at 2000fps or even max vel from a 1:10 twist bbl. They would be at 144,000. --- pruhdlr
That bullet should be more than stable at 100,000 rpm, or 900 fps in a 1/9. It's very short bullet for weight.

I haven't loaded any, but I'm beginning to think that people are having trouble either seating them straight because of the nose shape, or are damaging the tip.

Checking runout would be a good next step.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Might try - - -> lock back BCG . . gently drop round into chamber . . close action . . fire.
Keyhole ??
The mag could possibly be tearing up/distorting the bullets nose. --- pruhdlr
STONER 63A / XM177E2
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Are these bullets rated for the 300BO? Box states 308. Glad I decided on the Hornady 190 sub. Works very well with no key holing.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bearcatrp wrote:Are these bullets rated for the 300BO? Box states 308. Glad I decided on the Hornady 190 sub. Works very well with no key holing.
They are a .308” 30 calber bullet designed for subsonic use. Doesn’t really matter what brass is behind them.

It would be good to see your 100 yard targets with the Hornady bullet. If it has less stability issues it would be great.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

There is something about all of this that I do not understand.
The above states that these bullets are "designed for subsonic use". How do you know that ?? And if they are,why do they have a boat tail ??
Back to my above . . . someone please fire some of these in a 10 twist 308 at 2500. I would really like to know why these bullets are tumbleing IF NOT for the extremely slow forward and rotational velocity. --- pruhdlr
STONER 63A / XM177E2