Hornady 300BLK 190gr Sub-X in Gel

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 300BLK 190gr Sub-X in Gel

Post by ozleux »

It was downloaded with N110. Shot from a 16" bolt action. I'll try to run a few through the chrono with my 10.5" this weekend. I've found that most of my gas guns run around 10-15 fps slower than the bolt guns.
At very least, it's good to see a major manufacturer paying attention to the 300 blk in subsonic form. Hornady has done a much better job than Winchester did.
The OP did a more comprehensive test than what I did, I just did it at different velocities.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

I have a 12.5" barreled upper but didn't use it since Hornady shows more or less the same velocities across the various barrel lengths. But maybe this weekend I'll take this upper out and see what it does for muzzle velocity.

I'd like to take another try at the windshield test to get at least one more example of what we can expect from a hard barrier. Along with that would be trying the ammo at longer ranges but marksmanship and accuracy definitely comes into play when trying to line everything up at extended distances.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Unless Hornady has a new powder that quits expanding at a certain velocity, their numbers are BS. I doubt you could get an ES of 9 fps in a five shot group in the same barrel. They got that in four different barrels that varied 8" in length. :shock:

It's not uncommon to loose 200+ fps between 16"-8". That might make this ammo worthless in an 8" barrel.

My all my gas guns run around 25-30 fps slower than the same length bolt action. You might only be in the mid 900's with a 12.5.

It will be interesting to see what these actually run.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

dellet wrote:Unless Hornady has a new powder that quits expanding at a certain velocity, their numbers are BS. I doubt you could get an ES of 9 fps in a five shot group in the same barrel. They got that in four different barrels that varied 8" in length. :shock:

It's not uncommon to loose 200+ fps between 16"-8". That might make this ammo worthless in an 8" barrel.

My all my gas guns run around 25-30 fps slower than the same length bolt action. You might only be in the mid 900's with a 12.5.

Bummer, i only have an 8"...
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:
dellet wrote:Unless Hornady has a new powder that quits expanding at a certain velocity, their numbers are BS. I doubt you could get an ES of 9 fps in a five shot group in the same barrel. They got that in four different barrels that varied 8" in length. :shock:

Bummer, i only have an 8"...
Wait to see what they actually lose.

I don't lose as much with subs as i do with supers, but a fair amount of loads that are just under 1000 fps in an 8" AR, go super in a 16" bolt action so at least 1100 fps.

If they will do at least 975, they should be good to around 100 yards.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

dellet wrote:
Wait to see what they actually lose.
Yeah. Let's hold off until we have some user feedback with short barrels.

I've found Hornady to be pretty good with true advertising. Using real guns for velocity results as opposed to using a universal receiver. Or listing their ammo at high velocity but hiding in the small print that they used a 26" test barrel or something else that nobody is actually using. This is true on the LE website as well as in their reloading manuals.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

great info. thanks1
peace through superior firepower
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Great contribution!
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

Okay. Two more through glass and into gel covered with light clothing. One bullet went about 9 inches and came out the side of the block. The bullet was found probably 6 inches away. That bullet now weighs 153.5 grains and mushroomed well. ImageImage

The other bullet penetrated to 15 inches and weighs 167.3 grains. It doesn't look very pretty but I think it would have done the job.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
ImageImageImage
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

Ran a few through my 10.5 with a suppressor. Avg. was 1050 fps. Chrono was 8' from the muzzle.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"