Anybody here have an AR in 10mm Auto ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anybody here have an AR in 10mm Auto ?

Post by Boolit_Head »

The first Delta Elites were sexy blued versions. I always wanted one of those too.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I have a MECH TECH Carbine!!

I am also a big 10MM fan. I have a G20 and G29 as well as a couple Colt Delta's. :)

The G29 is a EDC.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

One of the complications with the 10mm is that it would likely need to run as direct impingement due to the 37k pressure. Most 9mm ARs are simple blowback design and specify not to even use +P ammo due to extraction under pressure.
Going to DI and a gas system with the tiny amount of gas generated by the 10mm becomes complex.
If anyone could figure out a solution, I would think it would be CMMG. Their Guardian in 45 ACP is innovative but can't handle 10mm pressures.

Ron lists a 10mm option, $800 upper.
http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/shop/7?category=2
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Thread bump.

Has anyone loaded 10mm subs for a carbine?

Detroit ammo sells a 220g. Xtreme has 220 plated heads.

Shouldn't be tough to ballpark something, but I figured i'd see If anyone has tried this already.
10ring1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 10ring1 »

Hi point had two at Shot Show. Under$400
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hi-poi ... prototype/
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

JoeHarley13 wrote:One of the complications with the 10mm is that it would likely need to run as direct impingement due to the 37k pressure. Most 9mm ARs are simple blowback design and specify not to even use +P ammo due to extraction under pressure.
Going to DI and a gas system with the tiny amount of gas generated by the 10mm becomes complex.
If anyone could figure out a solution, I would think it would be CMMG. Their Guardian in 45 ACP is innovative but can't handle 10mm pressures.

Ron lists a 10mm option, $800 upper.
http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/shop/7?category=2
Idk why you would need gas, glock 20 and 29 run fine, theres a 10mm kriss also that seems to run well as delayed blowback . QC10 And new frontier both have blowback 10mm ar's.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:
Idk why you would need gas, glock 20 and 29 run fine, theres a 10mm kriss also that seems to run well as delayed blowback . QC10 And new frontier both have blowback 10mm ar's.
Glock has locked breach. Makes a huge difference on hot loads.

A DI 10mm gun would be ideal for hot (real) 10mm rounds. Problem is, though, most regular factory 10mm stuff is pretty weak. I.E. PMC 10mm 200g offering is only 1050fps. This is well short of the 1200+FPS that a 200g 10mm was designed to do. So you could probably only reliably shoot hot hand loads or expensive double tap/underwood stuff with a DI gun. If you just shoot regular factory ammo, 10mm blowback AR will do fine because it's not at the upper pressure limits of the round. If you reload, just stick to the lighter side. The latter has been my approach, because it's also easier on brass.

10mm blowback requires a lot of buffer weight, which is the limiting factor in an AR. If you want a plug and play large frame pistol caliber AR, 45ACP is probably the way to go. It's less finicky.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Yeah, idk 45 is nice but id rather have 10mm still.....and be able to shoot the real 10mm loads.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:Yeah, idk 45 is nice but id rather have 10mm still.....and be able to shoot the real 10mm loads.
Any of the large frame, Glock mag AR lowers can be made into 10mm. I'm pretty sure all you need is a 10mm barrel and bolt carrier. All of the parts can be found at New Frontier Armory. I built a 45 AR pistol with parts from them.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

ozleux wrote:
Any of the large frame, Glock mag AR lowers can be made into 10mm. I'm pretty sure all you need is a 10mm barrel and bolt carrier. All of the parts can be found at New Frontier Armory. I built a 45 AR pistol with parts from them.
I used New Fronteir parts for mine. Unless someone can figure out a way to make an AR buffer that weighs at least 1lb, there is No way the gun will safely and reliably shoot full house 10mm rounds. You'll end up with a destroyed trigger group/lower and mangled brass that has to be thrown away. I'm Ok with just downloading what I use in It a little. What I do Feel comfortable shooting out of It is still more powerful than a 45acp. I'm working on a 220g load with slower powders that may work better, although not "full house". I'll save those for pistols.