What are people shooting in their ar pistols.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Chandler729

What are people shooting in their ar pistols.

Post by Chandler729 »

Hey guys. So I just want to get to the nitty gritty.

What’s everyone shooting in their ARs.

I’ve got the noe 311 155 gr rnfp and it’s so fat that when it chambers it actually takes a chunk out of the bullet itself. It still shoots great though surprisingly. I bet this would be a great bullet if it fed in an ar

I’ve also got the 309 230 Lee precision turd that we’ve all tried and most of us know that story.

What’s everyone else running? Does anyone have anything they just love in an ar? I’m losing hope on these.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: What are people shooting in their ar pistols.

Post by hardcase »

I don't cast but do buy casts from time to time. Also I assume .309 is the diameter of the bullets.

Are they coated? Have you checked your bullet diameter?

.309 after coating should function unless you have chamber issues. I did have to run a batch of my coated bullets through a Lee .309 diameter re-sizer once.

It might be time to check your chamber.

There are two bullet casters & coaters that sell sub bullets on this site that work well.
Chandler729

Post by Chandler729 »

hardcase wrote:I don't cast but do buy casts from time to time. Also I assume .309 is the diameter of the bullets.

Are they coated? Have you checked your bullet diameter?

.309 after coating should function unless you have chamber issues. I did have to run a batch of my coated bullets through a Lee .309 diameter re-sizer once.

It might be time to check your chamber.

There are two bullet casters & coaters that sell sub bullets on this site that work well.

Yeahhh I size to 309 and I’ve sligged my barrel and I can’t recall the size but it was in check. I do powdercoat also. The noe one just his the lifters so hard it Beats up the bullet but still flys straighter then the Lee. It actually shoots really well for how beat up the bullet can get. Just checking to see what everyone is running because there really are a ton of different options.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

145gr PB, 185gr GC., 150gr. Hornady.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

Lee C312-155-2R (160gr) or RCBS 7.62-130-SPL (140gr). The RCBS can be downloaded to 13gr 4227 and still function with carbine gas, M16 BCG, and 4.6oz buffer.

The chunk out of your NOE 155FN is from the flat on the bullet against the sharp edge of the feed ramps in your barrel.
Black Rifles Matter
toddn84

Post by toddn84 »

hardcase wrote: There are two bullet casters & coaters that sell sub bullets on this site that work well.
And who might they be? I'm looking to buy 100 or so bullets from the noe 247 mold. AMD maybe a couple different ones.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

toddn84 wrote:
hardcase wrote: There are two bullet casters & coaters that sell sub bullets on this site that work well.
And who might they be? I'm looking to buy 100 or so bullets from the noe 247 mold. AMD maybe a couple different ones.
Acme bullet company sells a couple bullets designed for the blackout.
Both work well with the 245 being a little better for AR's that are fussy about what they can feed.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

I am currently working up loads with the Acme bullets. They are harder, very consistent, and shoot well. I just had to dial in the OAL a little bit. The 265gr worked so well I didn't hesitate to order the 245gr.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Not exactly cast but those h100gr HJ plinkers are FUN. Single pull with 8 gr. cfe pistol. Hits same spot as 150SPP full power load @ 50. 18" carbine. Let a kid at the range try a couple, 10" pistol with sightmark holo. We did pretty good, ~25 shots @ 15 yds, 1.5" Still letting it hit ~ 1" left. Shooter error. Gotta try a few 110 vmax with 10gr. cfe pistol. Maybe the 145gr PB too. Maybe the Lee soupcan mould?
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Shot the pistol with 142gr PB - 15.5 H110, did well. Also did the 1/2 jacket with 8.5 cfe pistol - did good, still no ejection. 142PB with 9gr cfe pistol did very well, ejected and decent accuracy. case neck actually not dirty. Did some 170PB & 185GC with 1680 and softer alloy, acceptable. 2 125SST touching, just for grins. All @ 25yds, sightmark holo.