Handi extended scope mounting

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

HotRodColt

Handi extended scope mounting

Post by HotRodColt »

I need some suggestions on getting a scope mounted further out on the barrel of my Handi. I had a Burris Compact 2-7 on it that required an extension on the hammer. The supplied extension seemed to cause several misfires. I sourced an aluminum extension off e-gunparts and it helped, but I am still having some misfires. I have a Wolff hammer spring for it, but honestly I would just prefer the scope to be mounted out further. I removed the Burris 2-7 and mounted it to a .22 I had.

The PA Prismatic with ACSS reticle is about ideal, but it looks bulky and it's not cheap. I'd be happy with a 2.5-4x fixed power scope that was fairly compact. I just want to be able to run the hammer without an extension and have a fairly low profile. I know the current rail should be bedded in with JB weld before I put anymore leverage on it.

To add, the misfires have been with Remington and UMC factory ammo, as well as some Sellier and Bellot. I have not tried Barnes ammo in it yet.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Re: Handi extended scope mounting

Post by Aggie »

Not quite the magnification you're looking for, on my Handi I use a Vortex Strike Fire that came with a screw in 2xmag and on a high cantilever mount. Looking online I guess the new strike fire 2's don't come with the screw in magnifier anymore.

You may be able to go with a red dot with a large magnifier behind it although starts getting bulkier at that point too.

I tried my PA prism on my handi rifle but I wasn't pleased with the eye relief.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

ALL handi rifles REQUIRE the addition of a wolffe extra power hammer spring.

They use crap springs... I should know I had over 30 of them at one time...

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

cwlongshot wrote:ALL handi rifles REQUIRE the addition of a wolffe extra power hammer spring.

They use crap springs... I should know I had over 30 of them at one time...

CW
How do you change the springs in these guns?
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

The secrete is you need to make up a slave pin. it will hold the sear to the hammer while you instal them.
I am partial to the Carlson hammer extension. easily modified as seen.

Greybeard board has a H&R section with a pinned post with many FAQ's one is a link to a excellent thread on assembly.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r-ce ... -read.html

CW
Last edited by cwlongshot on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

HotRodColt wrote:I need some suggestions on getting a scope mounted further out on the barrel of my Handi. I had a Burris Compact 2-7 on it that required an extension on the hammer. The supplied extension seemed to cause several misfires. I sourced an aluminum extension off e-gunparts and it helped, but I am still having some misfires. I have a Wolff hammer spring for it, but honestly I would just prefer the scope to be mounted out further. I removed the Burris 2-7 and mounted it to a .22 I had.

The PA Prismatic with ACSS reticle is about ideal, but it looks bulky and it's not cheap. I'd be happy with a 2.5-4x fixed power scope that was fairly compact. I just want to be able to run the hammer without an extension and have a fairly low profile. I know the current rail should be bedded in with JB weld before I put anymore leverage on it.

To add, the misfires have been with Remington and UMC factory ammo, as well as some Sellier and Bellot. I have not tried Barnes ammo in it yet.
I'd almost bet your problem is ammunition that is to short on the head space. It's a widely reported problem with both UMC ( Barnes brass ) and the Vortex ammunition.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Head space check on a SS rifle is dead easy...

Remove barrel and ejector, held vertical, drop a shell in the chamber. If properly chambered the case head, will be either dead flush to a few thousandths below flush. (Think properly seated primer)

It has happened, but Firing pin protrusion, weak hammer springs and hammer dis-connector problems are far ans away more common cause of miss fires in handi rifles.

CW

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Hmmm....I suppose that is quite possible. I own 3, several friends own them. The only one I ever had trouble with was in 300 BLK. Even a fireformed measured round will have trouble with a CCI 450 with a factory spring and steel hammer spur. But we are talking factory ammo that has had known problems in several different kinds of rifles. You will never know until you measure base to datum on a box of unchambered ammo. I measured some stuff that wouldn't fire in an AR it was so short. Unless you have a firing pin stretcher, it ain't shooting. Just ruling out possibilities before you start tearing your rifle apart.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Pin protrusion fix is dead easy too, As long as its a transfer bar gun, just grind the face of the hammer.

The hammer hits the T-Bar to fire...but the top of the hammer covers the T-Bar and sometimes hits the frame BEFORE the T-Bar bottoms,making for a short FP Protrusion.

You can see how/what you have if you remove the barrel, dry fire but hold trigger and see how far the pin protrudes. Should be at least .050 but .065 isnt crazy long. Under .040 could be a problem.

CW

HotRodColt

Post by HotRodColt »

Been sick in bed, thanks for the pointers. Hopefully tomorrow I can do some diagnosing