Home defensive 300 BO load that is unstable?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

41Bear
Silent Operator

Home defensive 300 BO load that is unstable?

Post by 41Bear »

Where I live the houses are very close together, between houses side to side is no more than 5 to 10 yards, front to front (across the street) 20 to 30 yards. That being the case I'm looking for a factory load that will stay within the confines of my home.

I know I could go to a different round (223/556/277or 6.8spcII) by building another upper but I'm trying to avoid doing that at this time. I have 2 10.5" barreled pistol uppers with a lower just for them. I have read that the Nosler220 gr RN subsonic is somewhat unstable, does anyone here know that to be true?

Any other load or advice will be appreciated.
"Still flying like gypsies, just a little closer to the ground" Trace Adkins
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Re: Home defensive 300 BO load that is unstable?

Post by ozleux »

I've made repeated attempts to get the Nosler 220 Ballistic Tip to stabilize. In 4 different weapons, with about 6 different powders. I haven't had any luck, and have all but given up on them. There is a thread in the handloading section. Take a look at Lehigh, Maker, and the new kid on the block is Discreet Ballistics. Hornady is coming out with a 190gr loading, but I don't have my hands on any yet. Lehigh and Maker are proven performers by several members here.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
NeVs24

Post by NeVs24 »

I wouldnt go subsonic unless it's a Lehigh projectile or one specifically designed to expand at subsonic speeds. Otherwise it will over penetrate like crazy.

I prefer light supersonic loads with a suppressor. Less penetration, more energy and depending on the cartridge safe enough to shoot in door with no hearing protection.
Last edited by NeVs24 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
WAWII

Post by WAWII »

I was listening to a pod cast the other day where they were discussing a new Frangible bullet for self defense in your home, you might look into it?
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Post by batman4706 »

I use 78 grain Lehighs in mine.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

batman4706 wrote:I use 78 grain Lehighs in mine.
that would be my suggestion. a bullet that dumps and frags relatively shallow but still gets ok penetration into soft targets

check this gel test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDIurn7ku0
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
NeVs24

Post by NeVs24 »

plant.one wrote:
batman4706 wrote:I use 78 grain Lehighs in mine.
that would be my suggestion. a bullet that dumps and frags relatively shallow but still gets ok penetration into soft targets

check this gel test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDIurn7ku0
The video of the close quarters in clay was pretty damn impressive
41Bear
Silent Operator

Post by 41Bear »

I agree guys the Lehigh 78 gr. load would be my preferred load but my problem with it is that in the two years I've tried to buy it it's been like hen's teeth to get. I do reload that bullet and have gotten great results with it which speaks to the quality of the bullet itself. However I'm not going to use any reloaded ammo for self defense so until or unless Lehigh gets on it's horse an starts producing the loaded ammo again I'm left looking for something else that will do the job.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm going to get some of the Nosler loaded 220 gr. RN and run some dry wall insulation test in Dec. will share when it's over.
"Still flying like gypsies, just a little closer to the ground" Trace Adkins
7mmShooter

Post by 7mmShooter »

Theoretically at least, sounds like a perfect application for Dynamic Research Technologies Terminal Shock frangible, although penetration into the target may not be enough