Why exactly do YOU support the NRA? (If you do)

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DMIINC
Silent Operator

Re: Why exactly do YOU support the NRA? (If you do)

Post by DMIINC »

This is in response to WSCRST original post:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/acid-attack ... ew-weapon/

London police say the number of reported attacks with corrosive liquids rose from 261 in 2015 to 454 in 2016. Some appear related to gang activity or the theft of cars and motorbikes.

People will always try to hurt other people. Mankind is that way. This cannot be changed. Why the link above you might ask? Well according to other sources the UK government is trying to find the way to ban acidic fluids from public use or ownership. Since they banned firearms and carrying knives in public, people found other ways to hurt each other. All governments around the world are the same. Their ultimate goal is always control over someone/something.

The words written in first, second and forth amendments to the United States Constitution are found nowhere else in the world. Ok, maybe the first but you better be careful. There is a reason as to why those men added those amendments. They knew that someone would try to manipulate the constitution.

I have moved from society where I had no rights, where only one side had firearms, where I had to be baptized at 3AM in the morning so no one would know. Moment I moved here I embraced what was offered.

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

So, yes I support the NRA however imperfect it might be.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

wscrst,

You don't have to believe in the 2nd amendment to take advantage of it's protection.

You don't have to believe in God to have a blessed life.

You don't have to believe in/support the NRA to benefit of their work.

But all of these things are taken for granted by people who do not spend the time to see how they really work.

If you want to understand the NRA and what it offers, and all you did was join and look at mailers, then much of the fault is your own. What Happens on the national level is politics, and support of the locals. If want to know what local members do,what the organization is really about, get active locally.

You want to shoot turkey's, the NRA supports hunting and helps finance many hunters safety/training programs so they can get their license. Many of the instructors are NRA trained.

I stopped trying to get people to understand my point of view a long time ago. I can explain it. I can show you where to find the answers, I can read you the document.

What I can't do is understand it for you, or believe it for you.

You don't believe in the second amendment, there is a large number of people making their presence known in the last few years who do not believe in the first amendment. Our Constitution is under attack, only 25 more to go.

Free online course about the Constitution
https://online.hillsdale.edu/course/con101/schedule

Programs supported or offered by the NRA
https://explore.nra.org/

Just as a side note, the last person I introduced to hunting is non-affiliated politically and leans hard left socially, as you would expect from a Buddhist teacher.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
wscrst

Post by wscrst »

Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. I wrote my original post knowing that it would be provocative. I anticipated some negative comments. That happened. I hoped that someone would read, consider, and respond without judgment. dellet, rebel, and others did just that. I always think of the second amendment in terms of fighting off a government. I now am thinking about it in terms of local protection. I live in rural central Virginia (Staunton to answer a question from a previous post). Sheriff response time is often great but it could be delayed depending on activities in the county. I am armed. My wife is armed. I fully anticipated that some meth head is going to break into our house or that someone will accost me outside of my job (I have to decline narcotics to some pretty frightening people on a daily basis). Thank you for your thoughts and for helping me to rethink this issue. We agreed to disagree but then found some common ground.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

wscrst wrote:Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. I wrote my original post knowing that it would be provocative. I anticipated some negative comments. That happened. I hoped that someone would read, consider, and respond without judgment. dellet, rebel, and others did just that. I always think of the second amendment in terms of fighting off a government. I now am thinking about it in terms of local protection. I live in rural central Virginia (Staunton to answer a question from a previous post). Sheriff response time is often great but it could be delayed depending on activities in the county. I am armed. My wife is armed. I fully anticipated that some meth head is going to break into our house or that someone will accost me outside of my job (I have to decline narcotics to some pretty frightening people on a daily basis). Thank you for your thoughts and for helping me to rethink this issue. We agreed to disagree but then found some common ground.

I hope you really have rethought the issue.

I know my posts have been rough. I do apologize for the roughness. But not the message.

Since you have not addressed it. Let me ask you point blank. Would you turn in your guns if gun control passed? And Would you also turn in those who refused to comply?

You seem to have indicated you would turn them in. Please clairify.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

wscrst wrote:Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. I wrote my original post knowing that it would be provocative. I anticipated some negative comments. That happened. I hoped that someone would read, consider, and respond without judgment. dellet, rebel, and others did just that. I always think of the second amendment in terms of fighting off a government. I now am thinking about it in terms of local protection. I live in rural central Virginia (Staunton to answer a question from a previous post). Sheriff response time is often great but it could be delayed depending on activities in the county. I am armed. My wife is armed. I fully anticipated that some meth head is going to break into our house or that someone will accost me outside of my job (I have to decline narcotics to some pretty frightening people on a daily basis). Thank you for your thoughts and for helping me to rethink this issue. We agreed to disagree but then found some common ground.
Good to know you are an American, or at least live in the USA. The trouble with the internet is a person that posts can be from Europe, Canada or some place that does not have a vested interest in how the US works. Discussing our differences helps bring us together, at least most of the time. There are some that just want to build themselves up by tearing others down, like that Congressman who now wants to tear down the Jefferson Memoral.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
wscrst

Post by wscrst »

Good conversation. To end: I would not turn in my guns willingly because I do not trust the government nor do I trust anyone except family and close friends. I certainly would not turn anyone in who did not give up her/his guns. My comments about giving up guns were theoretical. My point is that I am willing to listen to a plan that would trade my assault rifle for fewer mass murders. This was referred to in a reply as a Polly Anna dream. That is spot on, but I do feel that listening to people with differing views on firearms is worthwhile. Maybe there is a way to preserve the second amendment rights and to keep assault rifles out of the hands of bad guys. I do not have the solution, but someone might. Good day.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

If you want to be a sheeple and follow Sen Sanders/Hilary socialized agenda, turn your guns in. Will suck asking for permission to take a crap! Freedom isn't free! Many of us who served to protect that freedom will NEVER surrender our guns!
41Bear
Silent Operator

Post by 41Bear »

gds wrote:Lifetime Member.

Here is the deal. The NRA is the most powerful Pro 2A organization out there. That is an undeniable fact. Are they Perfect? no. Do they sit back and do nothing? Again no.

After sandy hook, who was there doing all they could to prevent the multiple number of anti 2A bills from going thru? If you don't say the NRA, then you were either not paying attention or you are a paid shill of GOA, or one of the other anti NRA groups. and yes I worded it that way on purpose. GOA is more anti NRA then they are pro 2A.

I have not always agreed with the NRA, but in the last several years they have done some things that I find to be exactly what they should be doing, one of those is removing suppressors from the NFA.

If one thinks they are not good enough because they won't go scorched Earth on things like the NFA, instead taking small attainable steps, then one simply does not understand how Washington and politicians work.
I'm a life member (for over 45 years) also and totally agree with your stance. While they are not perfect, no one is, they are the biggest and most effective, feared, gun lobby we have to represent all of us to those people inside the beltway.
"Still flying like gypsies, just a little closer to the ground" Trace Adkins
stengun
Senior Silent Operator

Post by stengun »

Howdy,

I'm not a member and here's why:

A candidate can be the most vile and anti-gun person in the world but the NRA will give them an A+ rating IF someone donates enough money to them and says "Endorse my candidate."

Paul
I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill & Hillary National Airport!!!