Choosing a suppressor, experienced advice wanted

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Choosing a suppressor, experienced advice wanted

Post by TexasEric »

Background:
I just ordered my lower for a 300 SBR build, it will mainly run suppressed. Barrel length is still up in the air, guessing 8.5-10 inches. I need to talk to Dellet more. Once the lower comes in, I will start the paperwork to begin the NFA SBR jail time. Pistol configuration will give some fun time till it ends.
I really want to order a suppressor at about the same time. So that one will not have to wait much for the other. I am probably looking at a year of wait time, additional time added doesn't sound appealing.
I also own a fairly accurate 308 Ar.

Current choices and goals:
Looking for advice for a suppressor. I want "stupid quite". It will be a full length can, 7-9 inches. This will be hard with factory ammo. I know there will be action noise as well. It will never be like the movies. Currently, Thunderbeast 9 and 7 are in the lead. Followed by the Sig SRD 7.62 qd ti. 3rd is the Omega 30 cal. 4th, I want to wait for Q company to release there 30 cal cans. They were the guiding force behind the Sig can. Pretty sure their cans will be as good, without sig support drama. My problem with them is that they have not released 30 cal cans yet, and none are available for demo as far as I know. Lastly is OSS, I like their design and how quite they are. But OSS are heavy, expensive, and can be problematic with sbr handguards.

Current thoughts and requirements for can:
I am currently wide open for suggestions to research. The Sig has already taken a hit for possible bad support, customer service, and possibly not working well with non sig barrels. The silencer it's is certifiably bad ass though. Thunderbeast and Silencer Co have nearly impeccable customer service records as far as I can tell. Customer service means a lot to me. Also for now this can will be used on my 308 Ar and the SBR build. Repeatability and impact shift matter. It also needs to be tough enough to survive a carbine/rifle class.

Question for you:
What silencers have you used and prefer for 300 Bo subs? What brands and models have you shot, and liked? What would you have done differently in your own experience?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Choosing a suppressor, experienced advice wanted

Post by dellet »

If accuracy, repeatability and POI shifts are important the Thunder Beast Ultras will be hard to beat. Spend some time looking in the precision shooting results and see what the top shooters are using. For the SBR the 7" will be fine and will handle very well in the carbine class. The 9 might be better for the 308, I would purchase for the one you use the most.

The 308 will possibly never be used as a sub sonic so I might lean towards buying for the SBR
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

If I hadn't designed my own can, I would look into the Leonidas by Liberty.

Only 1 stamp required for the can because it's permanently welded, but is supposed to be really quiet when compared to other cans out there.

The downfall is it's a dedicated can.

Also, factory ammo (even subsonic) is woefully loud.

Also, a 10 inch barrel gives more room for hotter powders to reach full powder burn, which (may) be more quiet if comparing to an 8 inch barrel if everything else being equal.
Last edited by John A. on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

The Q Rifle Silencers are available from silencer shop. If you want a direct thread silencer I personally would buy a Full Nelson. If you want a QD can you can try out their Thunder Chicken. Could sellout soon though if they haven't already.

I personally love my Sig Sauer SRD-QD-Ti-thing with a couple criticisms. It is great for 300 Blackout. It is good for my SCAR 17 but Q Silencers are better for .308, there may also be other Silencers that are superior for .308. I have had no issue attaching this silencer on my SCAR 17, 300 Black, and 5.56 guns. There is plenty of thread and it is concentric to the bore. POI shift is negligible. Groups are tight too.
I have found Sig customer service to address the concerns I have had when I made an order directly through them. I do NOTlike that they increased the price of their brakes by 50.00

I have spoken to Q via email. Their Silencers were all tested on semi-autos with great results.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have three cans That I use on my 300 Blk rifles, 2 from Liberty and 1 from Yankee Hill. Any impact shift that I have noticed is repeatable meaning with the can on the bullet hits in the same place or as good as I can hold, though it may be a bit different with the can off.

This is an expensive game. Don't let price be your guide. Warranty service can be a big factor. Sooner or later you will most likely have a baffle strike, probably due to your negligence. A reliable manufacturer that has been in the business a while most likely will give you the benefit of the doubt and fix your can at little or no charge unless the SN on the tube gets messed up. Using a suppressor takes going through a learning curve, not just screwing it on.

A can on a .308 won't get you much, it is still to loud to use without hearing protection.

If you want stupid quiet, get a .22 can on a .22 single shot rifle and use standard velocity rounds.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

hardcase wrote: If you want stupid quiet, get a .22 can on a .22 single shot rifle
That would probably be about as quiet as it's going to get.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Something else:

If you plan on shooting full power rifle ammo, check with your can manufacturer as to barrel length. Most say 9" being the shortest they recommend. You don't want to burn up your can after waiting a year for the thing.

A few ounces of extra weight makes a difference hanging on the end of a gun barrel. Not so much from a bench.

A good quality 9 mm can that is approved for use on a 30 cal/.308 will gain you a lot of utility with minimal loss in effectiveness on a 30 cal.

From what I have read, longer skinner is better than shorter fatter in suppressor design.

So many choices to make.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

This is all good info! Please keep it coming. PMs may be coming soon. Work is slow today.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Omega 30.

Don't look back. STILL the lightest, most versatile (comes WITH a brake), QD mount, DT mount, removable muzzle-brake end-cap.

Super light, titanium construction, and 6" with flat end cap.

I own one, and my second should be coming any day now... I'm on month 11.

JeffWard
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

JeffWard wrote:Omega 30.

Don't look back. STILL the lightest, most versatile (comes WITH a brake), QD mount, DT mount, removable muzzle-brake end-cap.

Super light, titanium construction, and 6" with flat end cap.

I own one, and my second should be coming any day now... I'm on month 11.

JeffWard
That's a perfect example of marketing hype. They get away with it because they tag "full auto rated" to the claim.

The Ultra 7 is about 25% lighter and suppresses just as well, better it you remove the end cap from the Omega.

TBAC gives a temperature at which the metals start to become compromised, those are the same metals used in the Omega, as far as I know.

The Omega does cost less, as do the accessories.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.