Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by bearcatrp »

Is there a better bullet than this? Am wanting distance with good expansion. Will be shooting full loads out of a 16 inch barrel. Thanks
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by smustian »

Still king at the moment. I am sure someone is working on something that will have a lower minimum expansion velocity but it is not out yet. There is also a 120g Tac-Tx but I have not shot any yet.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Ordered 3 boxes. Also picked up a box of Hornady 110 V-Max for my plinking.
Recoil737
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Recoil737 »

bearcatrp wrote:Ordered 3 boxes. Also picked up a box of Hornady 110 V-Max for my plinking.
Those V-max aren't just for plinking. They work great and are devastating on anything coyote size and under.

I would even use the V-max over the black tips for smaller game as the black tips will punch through most of the smaller thin skinned animals. While the Vmax dumps all of its energy into it.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Our coyotes are bigger then most... but if the two I have shot say anything... The Barnes WILL expand on Coyotes at least here in the north East.

We have shot more with the 125 SST and that bullet also always expands. (And is pretty cheap)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I have to agree with smustian that the 110gr is still king.

I have shot and hunted with a number of 30 cal bullets for the 300BLK.
I have searched far and wide and basically nothing is going to beat the 110gr blacktip for the all purpose 300BLK bullet.
Obviously I wouldn't use the bullet for plinking.

I need to do a lot more shooting with it but I plan to this year for hunting season.

I have seen it produce very tight groups, maybe even my best or 2nd best grouping bullet.
It is THE long range 300BLK bullet.
It is THE bullet that expands the best at the lowest speeds for the 300BLk usage.
It is THE short barrel hunting bullet of choice since it expands at such a lower FPS
It is a top supersonic hunting bullet no matter the barrel length. The most devistating hunting bullet for 16" barrels is the 110gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos all brass bullet. It has it's own limitations though so to me it only rules in that one category.

The only place the 110gr blacktip does not shine is in subsonic application. But hey, it can't be the best or on top of every possible category.

Now with all of that said there are other bullets that perform well in a specific application or category but the 110gr usually out performs those bullets as well.

I hope this info helps :)
badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Post by badguybuster »

ive had amazing success with the barnes 130s in my 300 blackout ARs
Dyin aint much of a livin' boy
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

You folks loading the 110 v-max, what c.o.l. Are you doing? My 1st time loading small bullets like these. Book shows 2.050. Am doing 2.100. Did a batch last night and topped out at 20.04 gr of H110 which is 0.02 over max (Hornady book).
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

bearcatrp wrote:You folks loading the 110 v-max, what c.o.l. Are you doing? My 1st time loading small bullets like these. Book shows 2.050. Am doing 2.100. Did a batch last night and topped out at 20.4 gr of H110 which is 0.2 over max (Hornady book).
Over max yes but you are also .050 long so more than likely you will be fine. Work up to the max and look for pressure signs.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Thanks. All my rifles I reload for I try to go a bit higher to see if I can. Pistol powder is harder to do it with but rifle powder I can usually get 1 to 1 1/2 grains above max published loads. Has anyone tried the Z-Max bullets? These you can buy in bulk to save a bit compared to the v-max bullets.