suppressor came loose this weekend

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

suppressor came loose this weekend

Post by plant.one »

was out at my cousins shooting the 223, several of us were behind the trigger.

we were happily popping balloons and even dusting charcoal briquette's out at 200 yds with 75gr BTHP and then suddenly - nothing.

notice a shot impact the hill a couple feet below the targets, sure enough - can was loose, almost a full turn. tightened it up and things went back to normal. we were about 3-4 mags into shooting.

got home and noticed a copper smear on the inside edge of the endcap and a tiny chip :(

Thankfully - no harm done other than the endcap is never coming out of the tube again so i got lucky.

any suggestions for ensuring that a thread on can doesnt loosen like this? google shows that a couple wraps of hi-temp teflon tape should resolve it, any other thoughts?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: suppressor came loose this weekend

Post by dellet »

Image :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

From what I have read, the teflon tape can melt and become a real mess to get out of the threads.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Simple, easy fix.

Step one:
- Degrease and clean threads on barrel and suppressor.

Step two:
- Apply Nickel Anti-Seize
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-77124-N ... B0002UENJ2

Seems counter intuitive, but the Anti-Seize is thick enough to keep things tight and also prevents it from getting stuck on the muzzle.

Here is a PSA thread that I created in 2015.
viewtopic.php?t=97039
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Dr.Phil wrote:Simple, easy fix.

Step one:
- Degrease and clean threads on barrel and suppressor.

Step two:
- Apply Nickel Anti-Seize
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-77124-N ... B0002UENJ2

Seems counter intuitive, but the Anti-Seize is thick enough to keep things tight and also prevents it from getting stuck on the muzzle.

Here is a PSA thread that I created in 2015.
viewtopic.php?t=97039
This is what I use too, most of the time. If I know I will be shooting a lot and not removing the can until I get home I use a bit of 242 blue Loctite. The red takes more wrenching than I am comfortable using. I do have a small, pencil propane torch that I use carefully to heat the adapter threads. You can see the Loctite bubble out, breaking down. I read somewhere that a temperature of 600-700 degrees F breaks the bond. A heatgun might work too.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ill have to give the antiseize a try. i hate the stuff with a passion, but its a good product.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

plant.one wrote:ill have to give the antiseize a try. i hate the stuff with a passion, but its a good product.
Just be sure to use the Nickel version.
The regular stuff won't hold up to the heat.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I use the high temp food grade version for my AR and other rifle barrel assembly jobs. My brother suggested it since it doesn't make a mess and works just as well. He is a pipe fitter and the high temp range works fine. It has washed right out of my clothes as well :)
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

plant.one wrote:ill have to give the antiseize a try. i hate the stuff with a passion, but its a good product.
Just make sure you get it on the threads real good along with both receivers, your hands, clothes, face, lunch, first born, and anything else in a 10mile radius of that stuff.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

SwampDog_13 wrote:
Just make sure you get it on the threads real good along with both receivers, your hands, clothes, face, lunch, first born, and anything else in a 10mile radius of that stuff.
thats where my 'hate it with a passion' comes from :/