small rifle vs. small rifle magnum primers

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

wscrst

small rifle vs. small rifle magnum primers

Post by wscrst »

Sorry, I have tried to search this one and have not been successful. I am ready to try my first 300 blackout handloads with 220g bullets and 10g of IMR 4227. I have CCI 400 small rifle primers from reloading .223. When I plug my data into the hogdon site it lists the magnum primer. I would rather use the 400s instead of the 450s since I have a lot of the 400s.

1. Will the 400s be okay?

2. Can an experienced individual tell me how the bigger blast from the 450s would affect the function of the cartridge?

Thanks a bunch. Always learning.
Last edited by wscrst on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Re: small rifle vs. small rifle magnum primers

Post by Walkers Bay »

I've found no really noticeable difference between the two in supers. I can't see why it would make any difference in less powder then either.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

wscrst wrote:Sorry, I have tried to search this one and have not been successful. I am ready to try my first 300 blackout handloads with 220g bullets and 10g of IMR 4227. I have CCI 400 small rifle primers from reloading .223. When I plug my data into the hogdon site it lists the magnum primer. I would rather use the 400s instead of the 450s since I have a lot of the 400s.

1. Will the 400s be okay?

2. Can an experienced individual tell me how the bigger blast from the 450s would affect the function of the cartridge?

Thanks a bunch. Always learning.
400's will work. I use them in the blackout for subs and supers along with quite a few other folks. weather or not they'll be ideal for you is another debate I wont even venture into.

if you decide to switch to 450's - or even a different brand of magnum primer - at some point in the future, just remember you'll need to redo your load development, like you would anytime you switch a component.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
wscrst

Post by wscrst »

Good stuff. Thank you.