Disappointing Results--Rainier Ballistics 180gr HP

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Re: Disappointing Results--Rainier Ballistics 180gr HP

Post by USBP379 »

Something else to watch for regarding neck tension is the force required to seat. These bullets are very soft and deform easily in the seating die. Also the base is very square and it is pretty darned easy to shave bullets during the seating process. A beveled base would be nice.

I have 10 rounds loaded with 10.5gr of LT-30. I should be able to chrono today.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

Well, it looks like LT-30 is a NO GO. 10.5gr out of my 12.5in CMMG runs about 950fps average. But it won't lock the bolt open on an empty mag suppressed. Extreme spread is pretty nasty too. I had a high of 1002fps and a low of 876fps for the seven rounds I chrono'ed. Most rounds were loaded singly to check full cycling and none locked the bolt open.

Another problem is these bullets don't always feed. One round was badly mangled during the feed cycle when it hung up on the feed ramp. These bullets need to be "pointier" than what they are now. And, yes, my CMMG upper has M4 feed ramps.

If anyone wants to buy a box of 180gr Rainiers with about 230 bullets left let me know. I think I'm done messing around with these. I'm not going to buy additional powders just to experiment for this one projectile trying to find something that's within the recommended velocities that gives reliable function.

I commend Mr. Alexander for his efforts but I think the bullet needs some refinement before it is where it needs to be.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I'm always up for a challenge. :shock:

Anyone who wants to send me some to try, let me know I'll send you an address.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I'm game as well. Let me know.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

Rebel and dellet, pm me a ups shipping address and I'll send you a couple hundred. I've not been having much luck with them.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

I'll sell the remainder of my box (about 230 bullets) for $30 shipped.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

USBP379 wrote:I'll sell the remainder of my box (about 230 bullets) for $30 shipped.
Are these flat points?or hollow points?

I'd like first chance on buying them
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

Bob the nailer wrote:
USBP379 wrote:I'll sell the remainder of my box (about 230 bullets) for $30 shipped.
Are these flat points?or hollow points?

I'd like first chance on buying them
They are the hollowpoint version.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Ok thanks I'll pass currently loading the flat points.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Ozleux sent me a bunch of these to work with and the summer just kind of went sideways. Iv'e done just a little bit of load development and I will admit to some frustration.

Ran a few through a bolt action and had fair results immediately. Basically under an inch at 50 yards, something you would think you can work with.

When I switched to the AR it got ugly. No problems feeding or finding loads that will function, but accuracy was had to judge. Always seemed to have more rounds off the paper than on.

As time permits I will spend more time. As for load data/process it's all pretty vague. 1680, N120, 4227, LT-30 have all worked suppressed in a 10.5" carbine gassed upper. This is by far the hardest one to get working.

As for loading nothing special with the possible exception of the seating die I use. Redding Competition. What makes this different is that the internal support of the case is better and the seating stem floats. You end up with a better alignment between the bullet and case mouth. All I do is chamfer the inside of the neck and seat the bullet. No more care than any other flatbase bullet.

I have not pulled one to check for crush but did check to make sure no copper was being shaved, it was not.

Good results in a bolt action, and poor results in the AR, would seem to indicate an issue in feeding, but I really can't see anything visually when removing chambered rounds.

More to come. I apologize to Ozleux for not following through and will get going on this a little more seriously.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.