So what is the consensus on Hi-Tek coating?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: So what is the consensus on Hi-Tek coating?

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

RAINS wrote:Coated cast lead bullets don't work in my 8' cmmg 300blk ar15. The coating was worn off my the rifling and I had leading as a result. I used a barrel full of water to catch the bullets. I would NOT shoot coated bullets threw a sealed suppressor.

R
Coated bullets are perfectly safe in silencers. I shoot tens of thousands every year and have not had a single issue. This is with powder coated as well as Hi-Tek coated bullets. There is a reason why your bullets sheared their coating and it has zero to do with the bullets or the coating, it has to do with your gun.

It is hard for me to explain but I will try.

The chamber is designed for brass within a certain range. If you cut your brass too short it will leave a gap from the case mouth to the corresponding step in the chamber where the throat begins. The throat is .309" so if your bullet is larger than that, and your cases are too short, the sharp edge at the beginning of the throat can shear off some of the outside diameter taking the coating with it. Sometimes it will also leave a lead ring inside the chamber. The sharp edge is at 1.3910" in the drawing below.

There are a couple of things you can do to help.

First, actually measure your chamber to see how long brass can be. By keeping your brass as close to max length it reduces the gap and the chance your bullet will shear its coating off. I always cut my brass short and I have one gun that will shear off its coating unless I use brass that fills that gap.
Second, size your bullets to .309" so they better match the throat and do not shear off the coating as it passes over that sharp corner at the transition between the throat and the step for the case mouth.

WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: So what is the consensus on Hi-Tek coating?

Post by popper »

You almost have the problem described for the coating. Short brass leaves a gap where the bullet expands then contracts and hits the sharp edge of the throat where it gats shaved. PC has the same problem but is more flexible. Second problem, even with hardball alloy is that the cooking without WD leaves a softer alloy that won't take the higher pressure.