First AR Build

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Luke2236
Silent Operator

First AR Build

Post by Luke2236 »

So it begins....

1st piece of the puzzle: DPMS stripped upper/lower, 2 color cerakoted - "Kryptek Typhon". Basic upper and lower parts kits, also DPMS, should arrive soon. Live in a small rural area in the ass end of nowhere, so everything has to be ordered.

Last edited by Luke2236 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Canadian Coast Guard - Retired
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: First AR Build

Post by smustian »

Good looking start. Make sure to post picture of finished rifle.
Luke2236
Silent Operator

Post by Luke2236 »

smustian wrote:Good looking start. Make sure to post picture of finished rifle.
For sure! Build progress/updates will be in fits and starts as I decide/source various bit 'n pieces. Price and availability will be a big part of that with, again, my location. With that said though, I may have a line on a new Odin Works 10.5" barrel - that'd fit in with my general plan for this project.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

Luke2236 wrote:that'd fit in with my general plan for this project.
If it's OK with you, would you mind sharing the plan with us? That would better enable the real experts (i.e., people other than me) in the forum to provide advice on tradeoff decisions that always pop up on the journey.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Awsome start to first build! I am a big fan of Kryptek patterns. Are you going to do the rail in typhoon as well?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Luke2236
Silent Operator

Post by Luke2236 »

BoomerVF14 wrote:
Luke2236 wrote:that'd fit in with my general plan for this project.
If it's OK with you, would you mind sharing the plan with us? That would better enable the real experts (i.e., people other than me) in the forum to provide advice on tradeoff decisions that always pop up on the journey.
Basically what I spelled out below as an intro couple days back, but to summarize - a pistol build range toy, occasional 3 gun style competition; supersonic only (suppressors illegal up here) light/mid weight bullets with handloaded ammo. And as a learning project for AR building which I've been wanting to do for awhile. and may turn into a bigger hobby-within-a-hobby kinda thing :)

Def very open to suggestions and input along the way though, any and all such more than appreciated!

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=100482
Last edited by Luke2236 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke2236
Silent Operator

Post by Luke2236 »

steven11b wrote:Awsome start to first build! I am a big fan of Kryptek patterns. Are you going to do the rail in typhoon as well?
Absolutely, when I decide on a handguard and stock I'll have those done in the same pattern. Or so the plan now is at least :P
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Luke2236 wrote:
steven11b wrote:Awsome start to first build! I am a big fan of Kryptek patterns. Are you going to do the rail in typhoon as well?
Absolutely, when I decide on a handguard and stock I'll have those done in the same pattern. Or so the plan now is at least :P
What did it cost for the cerakote? I am starting a AR10 build and plan on doing kryptek nomad recievers, rail amd stock.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Luke2236
Silent Operator

Post by Luke2236 »

steven11b wrote:
Luke2236 wrote:
What did it cost for the cerakote? I am starting a AR10 build and plan on doing kryptek nomad recievers, rail amd stock.
I'm in Canada, so no doubt pricing is not directly comparable, but aprx $200 for two-color cerakoting the upper/lower. Wraps are a lot less of course, but the few I've seen just didn't come off as good as cerakote. IMO.
Luke2236
Silent Operator

Post by Luke2236 »

A few more parts of the puzzle ordered today:

Radian (AXTS) black nitride E-BCG
Radian (AXTS) Raptor ambi charging handle

Previous ordered DPMS upper and lower parts kits cancelled (was advised by origional vendor they're now on back order... surprise!)

So with another vendor, added to the same order of the BCG and charging handle a:

Strike Industries upper parts kit and
Bravo Company enhanced lower parts kit. This is the one with the BCM PNT trigger group - that'll allow me to kick the purchase of a pricey trigger kit further down the road. And maybe off the road if it proves to be a decent trigger.