25% off .308 projectiles @ American Reloading

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: 25% off .308 projectiles @ American Reloading

Post by Whole Bunches »

As suggested, I filled 1 gallon milk jugs with water and lined them up, putting extra jugs on the sides in case the bullet went to either side. 1st shot with the Barnes 110gr blacktip going 2200fps went through 3 jugs nicely but then curved up hitting the 4th jug near its smaller top section and going through to parts unknown.

OK, now I line up even more jugs and shoot one of the pulled 130gr Barnes looking bullets. I had 6 jugs lined up. Bullet went through all six and left for parts unknown.

Now I'm down to not many jugs left. Line up the remaining jugs and shoot another Barnes 110gr blacktop going 2200fps. Bullet stopped in the 4th jug this time, beautifully mushroomed with an extreme diameter of .65". Hmmm, same diameter as when I shot it into the ground. Speculation: Barnes bullets only have so much of an "expandable" front end before the solid core, so if they hit something that allows penetration and expansion, if enough velocity, they can only expand so much.

The 110gr bullets ripped apart the 1st 2 jugs MUCH more than the 130gr bullets with a much bigger water splash over me and the table the jugs were on.

By searching for a pic of an expanded Remington Hog Hammer 300BLK bullet and adding the word "gel", I finally found this old post with a pic: viewtopic.php?f=151&t=84960&hilit=hog+h ... s&start=40 My bullet that I fired into sandy/clay dirt looks very similar with the difference being the tips of the petals are bent more towards the body of the bullet. Likewise the 110gr blacktip recovered from the dirt has the tips of its petals bent more towards the body of the bullet.

My conclusions:

1) The American Reloading 130gr pulls are the same bullet as in Remington Hog Hammer, now that I've seen a pic of same. A way to get some bullets that Barnes doesn't sell to reloaders.

2) I would not use the 130gr on deer, but continue to use the 110gr on deer due to quicker, greater expansion (and superb accuracy in most of my rifles).

3) I will work up an accurate 130gr load and try it on a hog. My hog hunting partner will be getting some of the same bullets to work with. We think the hog hammer bullets will penetrate better and would like to try a shoulder shot on a boar.

4) Wish the hog hammer bullets had a deeper hollow point for more expansion, as their heavier weight should make for deeper penetration than the 110's on hogs.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I am amazed at the penetration of that bullet. It makes me wonder how it would do against Elk.
It would make for a heck of an impact out of a 24" barrel
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Loads: 18.0 to 18.8gr H110, LC formed brass, no anneal, mild crimp, CCI #400, 2.185"-2.19" oal, pulled 130gr HP Barnes Remington Hog Hammer bullets. No idea of why they were pulled.

My SIG MCX did not like them. About 3 MOA to 9 MOA "groups". Double checking the MCX with a known load it likes, the group went back to normal.

My RARR and 10.5" PSA FN chrome lined bbl upper liked them. 18.4gr H110 shot the best in both rifles. 18.2gr H110 shot equally well in the RARR, but having the same load for 2 rifles is easier.

RARR: .72 MOA and average velocity of 2166fps at 12' from the chrono in 60 degree weather. Extreme spread of 5 shots was 2139.9-2196.6fps.

10.5" upper: 1.16 MOA and average velocity of 2063.5fps at 12' from the chrono in 60 degree weather. Extreme spread of 5 shots was 2039.4-2079.3fps.

I really think they could group better with better optics for precision shooting...both optics used did not use regular crosshairs or high magnification. Sun light permitting, tomorrow I'll mount the FLIR thermal on my SBR and take it night hunting tomorrow night. Oh, for sighting in, I use black poster board with a piece of aluminum tape in the center. Black gets hot in sun and aluminum reflects the heat, making for a nice thermal daylight target. I'd like to hit a hog high shoulder in line with the front leg and the bullet break the spine, but if close enough, a head shot. Alas, the fields scouted a few minutes ago showed no fresh hog tracks, but at least I'll be outdoors.
Dinny

Post by Dinny »

I pulled a bullet from the Hog Hammer ammo I have and the bullets matched. I killed a small doe this year with the factory loaded bullet and it made short work of it at 25yds.

Thanks, Dinny
Medics Save!
Dinny

Post by Dinny »

Jim Timber wrote:So what makes them petal out?
My best guess is that the HP fills and expands. Perhaps there's skivving on the inside of the HP that aides is uniform separation.

Thank, Dinny
Medics Save!
Dinny

Post by Dinny »

Here are pics of the Hog Hammer bullet I pulled from my bullet box and one of the American Reloading 130gr bullets next to it. Of note, neither have a X on the base of the bullet and both have only one cannelure and it's exactly the same distance from the base. I killed a deer with this factory load last year. I'm getting 2117fps MV from my 16.1" Handi rifle.

Nevermind I even mentioned pics. It's a bridge too far to post pics on this archaeic site.

Thanks, Dinny
Medics Save!
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Curiosity is killing me....what is the length of the 130gr projectile ya'll got from American Reloading?

I had ordered some of the 130's in the past and they subbed the 120gr in its place. It appears to be the same
projectile as found in the Remington/UMC load of a 120gr OTFB. I may have to try again to acquire some of
the 130's to go with my 120's and my 130gr MK319's!!

Thanks!
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Wow, American has improved their shipping.....got the 130gr in today, one day ahead of schedule!! Used to take at least 10 days to get your stuff!

To answer my question of length for others.......they are 1.38" long. You might run across one 1.40", but they seemed to congregate more at 1.38.
padawan

Post by padawan »

Sig220 wrote:Curiosity is killing me....what is the length of the 130gr projectile ya'll got from American Reloading?

I had ordered some of the 130's in the past and they subbed the 120gr in its place. It appears to be the same
projectile as found in the Remington/UMC load of a 120gr OTFB. I may have to try again to acquire some of

Thanks!
Same here... Ordered 'reference 930' thinking they were Barnes solids.

They substituted/goofed up and sent 120gr OTFB with some of mix of 90gr The package even states 130gr.

Going to followup tomorrow to see whats up.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Your post rang a bell with my memory....so I went and checked....Yep, I had a handfull of 90gr in that batch of 120gr they sent me. The note with it
said they subbed the 120gr for the 130gr and they added more to make it up or something like that. :roll:

The batch I just got in are the 130gr and I am liking them...just gotta find my sweet spot with them! Good Luck to ya!
padawan wrote:
Sig220 wrote:Curiosity is killing me....what is the length of the 130gr projectile ya'll got from American Reloading?

Thanks!
Same here... Ordered 'reference 930' thinking they were Barnes solids.

They substituted/goofed up and sent 120gr OTFB with some of mix of 90gr The package even states 130gr.

Going to followup tomorrow to see whats up.