Maker, 110 grain Expanding sub bullet for single shot/ bolt actions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Maker, 110 grain Expanding sub bullet for single shot/ bolt actions

Post by dellet »

Starting to work with a new offering from Maker bullets, 110 grain expanding sub sonic bullet. This is one of the bullets that Paul got a fair amount of feedback and interest in to develop.

The first questions that always come up is how low of velocity and how far will it expand.

Here is 700 fps into 10% ballistic gel. Bullet center to outer edge of petal is .400, total expansion is basically 3/4" at that speed.

Accuracy so far is reasonable. Weather has not been agreeable so chronograph time has not been possible past a few shots.

Five at fifty yards, but were going super at 25 degrees

Dropped down to 5 grains of Trail Boss and shot another five. Two cracked super so need to drop a little more powder.

Developing subs without a chronograph sucks, I think working the load from here will be pretty easy.

For small game, varmints and pest control these will work great. Using Trail Boss they are pellet gun quiet. Expect these to be showing up on their website soon.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Maker, 110 grain Expanding sub bullet for single shot/ bolt actions

Post by cwlongshot »

Fun stuff!

Thanks for posting!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I think this bullet has more potential for general hunting use than many realize. That thing expands to quarter size.
If you shoot something small and tasty, keep them toward the head or you'll lose some meat 8)
It should prove very lethal.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

Definitely following this!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Back out today chronograph and a balmy 35 degrees two loads to test. Both shot at 50 yards.

Maker 110 Rex
LC converted 1.355"
Rem 7 1/2

4.0 Trail Boss

970 FPS This was first round

936 avg
44 ES
18 SD

Vertical is about 1.4" horizontal is 1" outside to outside

4.5 gr Trail Boss

1040 fps

1026 Avg
32 ES
13 SD
Sadly I expected a little more difference in the groups. Basically three in the same hole, one a bullet width high and another high right. Basically 3/4" high and 1" wide outside to outside.

I think with a little work 1 1/4- 1 1/2 MOA out to 100 yards is a very realistic expectation. Those that want to tighten that up could probably squeak out a solid MOA load.

Something to consider is that I shot five rounds, went and cleaned the brass by hand, reloaded, came back and shot the next five rounds. The load is reasonably repeatable and forgiving at short distances..

The ten shot group is basically 1" tall and .8" wide. When you factor in the 100 fps velocity spread that group would tighten considerably.

It shows the importance of a chronograph to develop a sub sonic load.

I will probably call this good for now and try a different powder or two to see just how forgiving this bullet is.
riude

Post by riude »

Interesting bullet, for me specially for small varmints.
How deep in gelatin it starts to expand/how deep it was when expanded totally/how much was total penetration?
If we think small varmint body to be 6" thick under fur, does this expand if hit soft tissue?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

riude wrote:Interesting bullet, for me specially for small varmints.
How deep in gelatin it starts to expand/how deep it was when expanded totally/how much was total penetration?
If we think small varmint body to be 6" thick under fur, does this expand if hit soft tissue?
Good questions that I have no real answer yet.

The bullet shown was not at full velocity, and traveled about 8.5 inches in the gel and was not fully expanded. My experience has been that there is not a good way to predict penetration. In gel a faster bullet may penatrate less because it opens farther sooner. Applying more brakes.

The other variable is target weight. With smaller animals it's easier to pick up and move the whole animal than to penatrate. It will take some real world testing to know exactly what will happen.

Expansion is started by hydraulic force so it could be possible to plug the hole with fur and cause problems.

Any good thoughts on controlled tests are welcome.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

dellet wrote:
riude wrote:Interesting bullet, for me specially for small varmints.
Good questions that I have no real answer yet.

The bullet shown was not at full velocity, and traveled about 8.5 inches in the gel and was not fully expanded. My experience has been that there is not a good way to predict penetration. In gel a faster bullet may penatrate less because it opens farther sooner. Applying more brakes.

The other variable is target weight. With smaller animals it's easier to pick up and move the whole animal than to penatrate. It will take some real world testing to know exactly what will happen.

Expansion is started by hydraulic force so it could be possible to plug the hole with fur and cause problems.

Any good thoughts on controlled tests are welcome.

...not sure if it's a good one, but if you have some old pelts laying about you might be able to use them on the front face of your gel block or selected backing medium to test for the clogging potential?? Pelts may need to be "re-hydrated" to soften up the skin layer a bit....
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

I really enjoy the 90xtp's in my handi-rifle and have popped a couple rabbits with them. Did you by chance test to see if these fed with a magazine (manually cycling the action)?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Aggie wrote:I really enjoy the 90xtp's in my handi-rifle and have popped a couple rabbits with them. Did you by chance test to see if these fed with a magazine (manually cycling the action)?
They will feed in an AR.