So...bad rifle or just bad ammo (RARR)?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ScottC

Re: So...bad rifle or just bad ammo (RARR)?

Post by ScottC »

Check the extractor. Remove the extractor from the bolt. Be careful not to loose the ball bearing or spring. Youtube for how. If the "ears" that hold the extractor in the slot are little triangles, tell Ruger that you want a new extractor, ball and spring. The new one should have wider ears putting more surface in contact with the slot. You will eventually have extraction issues with the triangle extractor. By replacing the extractor now you'll avoid this and possible damage to the slot by the sharp triangles. This may also help with the ammo issues. Changing the extractor fixed both issues for me.
crashnrondo

Post by crashnrondo »

ScottC wrote:Check the extractor. Remove the extractor from the bolt. Be careful not to loose the ball bearing or spring. Youtube for how. If the "ears" that hold the extractor in the slot are little triangles, tell Ruger that you want a new extractor, ball and spring. The new one should have wider ears putting more surface in contact with the slot. You will eventually have extraction issues with the triangle extractor. By replacing the extractor now you'll avoid this and possible damage to the slot by the sharp triangles. This may also help with the ammo issues. Changing the extractor fixed both issues for me.

Anybody know if the newer rifles are shipping with the upgraded version of the extractor?

Thanks,
Ron
Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Post by Rich Coyle »

With my RARR I had 100% failure to fire when using CCI450 Magnum primers. I couldn't get a different firing pin spring so I sold the rifle.
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

Rich Coyle wrote:With my RARR I had 100% failure to fire when using CCI450 Magnum primers. I couldn't get a different firing pin spring so I sold the rifle.
I use the CCI 450's exclusively and haven't had any issues. My brother has the same rifle and had several light strikes on Barnes ammo, but no issues with my rounds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I ONLY had missfires in mine woth factory Remington 220 g ammo

I have many hundreds of handloads thru it with zero issues accept 1/2 MOA accuracy. :mrgreen:

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
toos

Post by toos »

I had a Ruger American rifle 300 BO, same issue, failure to fire. I also have an AAC Handi-rifle with the same issue. I ended up sending the Ruger back to the factory. asking for a new extractor, if that was the issue. They apparently have so many returns they decided they would offer a rifle in another caliber. I ended up getting a Ruger Predator in .308 WIN in trade.

I did the same with the Handi-rifle (TWO returns). Same problem. I kept that because I like how it breaks down. My only solution to the problem was using hand loads that have soft primers. Federal 205 is reportedly the "softest" and hand loads with those have been 100% reliable. The Handi-rifle with 245gr Missouri lead bullets is Hollywood quiet when suppressed. Great for larger pests. Too bad Remington let Handi-rifle fail. I guess Remington is doing the same with much of their firearms line. Really sad.

It seems as though most 300 BO ammo is made for AR's. Harder primers, which work fine with the AR firing pin design. My 300 BO 10.5" Hardened Arms upper gobbles everything and is quite accurate.

For reloaders, I used a Sheridan gauge on reloads using CCI primers. Failure to fire 50% of the time in the Ruger and Hand-rifle. Stick with the Federa; 205's if you are using a bolt or break action. Maybe other manufacturers have a better firing pin design, but not Ruger or the defunct Hand--rifle.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

toos wrote:I had a Ruger American rifle 300 BO, same issue, failure to fire. I also have an AAC Handi-rifle with the same issue. I ended up sending the Ruger back to the factory. asking for a new extractor, if that was the issue. They apparently have so many returns they decided they would offer a rifle in another caliber. I ended up getting a Ruger Predator in .308 WIN in trade.

I did the same with the Handi-rifle (TWO returns). Same problem. I kept that because I like how it breaks down. My only solution to the problem was using hand loads that have soft primers. Federal 205 is reportedly the "softest" and hand loads with those have been 100% reliable. The Handi-rifle with 245gr Missouri lead bullets is Hollywood quiet when suppressed. Great for larger pests. Too bad Remington let Handi-rifle fail. I guess Remington is doing the same with much of their firearms line. Really sad.

It seems as though most 300 BO ammo is made for AR's. Harder primers, which work fine with the AR firing pin design. My 300 BO 10.5" Hardened Arms upper gobbles everything and is quite accurate.

For reloaders, I used a Sheridan gauge on reloads using CCI primers. Failure to fire 50% of the time in the Ruger and Hand-rifle. Stick with the Federa; 205's if you are using a bolt or break action. Maybe other manufacturers have a better firing pin design, but not Ruger or the defunct Hand--rifle.
With your handi Toos,

Change the main spring out with a wolffe extra power then check and adjust firing pin protrusion. Should be .050 -.060.

As for the Ruger, the factory will make it correct.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Solstice

Post by Solstice »

I know this post has been dormant for a while but after reviewing several different posts on similar topics I decided to put my two cents in. I have a rarr with a 60,000 serial. I was receiving lots of failure to fires with both hand loads and several box manufacturers, including a 100% fail rate with the Aguila 150’s. After speaking with Ruger’s customer service I’d begrudgingly sent the rifle back to have it inspected/fixed.. It was returned approximately four and a half weeks later with a note saying it had been returned it to factory spec and after testing, no issues were present ; I found this to be a bit ironic as I was told the long wait was due to waiting on a new barrel. (I had personally taken the barrel off and reinstalled after finding the head spacing to be a bit excessive, I had also adjusted the firing pin via the dual camlock‘s on the back of the bolt for more aggressive strike.). When I contacted Ruger to get more explanation I was told they had fired 20 fiocci factory rounds without failures. Well I Finally got a chance to take my Ruger back out to the range and lo and behold the Fiocci rounds I bought at Cabela’s function flawlessly. Unfortunately that’s where the good news ends, as I had 4 hand load rounds fail on the first round, and two that just would not fire(federal first time loaded). Another five out of five of the Aguila also failed to fire regardless of times struck. I also had two out of five Hornady sub-x fail the first time and lastly had one of five Herters subsonic fail to fire on the first try. I am at a loss, all of my brass is resized the same, I even switched from a lee to a Forrester die and no apparent fix on my end can seem to make this rig work right. I am hoping by reaching out to this community I will find some magical fix as I really don’t want to have to contact Ruger again and point out what I have seen to be a very common issue among their RARR 300blk..
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Solstice - buy a comparator that measures base to the datum line on your brass. Using Winchester or some other softer cup small rifle primer, shoot 20 rounds of brass with your favorite supersonic load. Remeasure brass = it should have grown some. This will continue up to about 3 firings at which point your brass will be fitted to your chamber. I wouldn't advocate cci 450's in your rifle for fear of failure to fire but 400's should work fine.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

Solstice, I'm going to second rebel's advice. Every, and I do mean every, failure to fire I've experienced has been due to excessive headspace. When it happens I take the round home and drop it in a slotted Sheridan gauge. They always fall below the minimum. This is all handloaded ammo with CCI 450 primers. The perplexing thing is that I can't figure out how some cases are getting sized too short. My best guess is varying brass hardness affecting the sizing.

If the rounds are short, it's the ammo, otherwise it's the gun.

Early on I had an issue with the extractor failing to catch the rim and extract the spent case. Ruger sent me the three parts and it was obvious that I had a defective extractor when comparing the new and old. Extraction has been perfect since the replacement.