Subsonic Loads for Remington 700 1 in 7" 16.5" barrel length

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Pat T

Subsonic Loads for Remington 700 1 in 7" 16.5" barrel length

Post by Pat T »

Good Afternoon all,

Im based in the UK and have recently got a hold of a Remington 700 chambered in .300blk, 16.5'" barrel length and have a Schulz and Larsen thunderdome moderator fitted on the end.

Ive had a few chats face to face with a couple of guys who have shot this calibre. My desired use is for subsonic loads suitable for taking on Red Fox sub 150yds.

Ive seen a lot of data for shooting +200gr bullets.

I was led to believe that the heavy slow rounds would allow the bullet to "yaw". I acquired some data for 175gr loads from the reloader nest. 6.5gr of Alliant Red Dot would put me just on the cusp of supersonic.

Powders to hand are;
Blue Dot
Red Dot
HP38

I have an abundance of Sierra TMK 175gr
Hornady A-Max 178gr
Scirocco Swift 180gr

Any input would be well received

Thanks in advance
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic Loads for Remington 700 1 in 7" 16.5" barrel length

Post by dellet »

Hello Pat,

Let's get the bad news out of the way first. many of the 700's made it out the door with a 1/10 twist barrels. That is the reason for many of the stories of unstable or yawing bullets. You might check that in your rifle.

The good news is that you can shoot any bullet you want. Myself and many others have shot bullets from 85 grains and up subsonic in either bolt action or single shot rifles.

Keep in mind when searching that W231 is the same powder as Hp38 so look for both.

Here is a couple threads that will bet you started.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=92768

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=91549

A better search function;
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... tl9hapdoi0

If you have other powders available to you, it could be easier. Vihtavuori and Vectan both have good powders for a bolt action.

Shouldn't take too long to start controlling the fox population.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Pat T

Post by Pat T »

That's a great start for me thankyou.

It's all stamped up on the barrel as 1:7 twist but will try and check with a cleaning rod and a tight patch. Hopefully get some confidence that it's 1:7 twist to start
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Also don't immediately count the 1/10 twist out. This was shot from an AR with a 1/10 twist at 200 yards with Honady 208 ELD's, at 1030 FPS. Load was 10.5 grains of N120.

The holes show just a little bit of wobble.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Based on what you've listed for bullets, I don't see how you're going to do anything but poke holes in an animal as small as a red fox. I can't see how you'd have any kind of reliable expansion of the bullet do to the lack of dense bone or muscle tissue. The A-Max likely has the best chance with it's relatively thin jacket but it's pure speculation. I'd be more inclined to try Hornady's 110gr. V-Max on small game, especially if going subsonic.

If they would feed well in your rifle and had adequate accuracy to do the job, I'd try .309" dia. pistol pullets like XTP's or Gold Dots. I've done 90gr. XTP's in subsonic before and they were about 1.5 moa (5-shots) @ 100 yards. If memory serves me correctly, 6gr. of Trail Boss was the preferred charge weight.