Nosler 125 BT

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

PSE1
Silent Operator

Re: Nosler 125 BT

Post by PSE1 »

I was not impressed.
45 yard neck shot resulted in a follow-up need.
the buck still was viable and able to direct his movements but not able to coordinate his gears.
I'm thinking the BT DIDNT expand until it was half way into the neck and heading out, so, the neck wasn't broken.
probably OK for solid double lung shots but the 110 HP seems to be a better CNS disrupter.

next test is a shoulder shot with a 125 Sierra SP.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

PSE1 wrote:I was not impressed.
45 yard neck shot resulted in a follow-up need.
the buck still was viable and able to direct his movements but not able to coordinate his gears.
I'm thinking the BT DIDNT expand until it was half way into the neck and heading out, so, the neck wasn't broken.
probably OK for solid double lung shots but the 110 HP seems to be a better CNS disrupter.

next test is a shoulder shot with a 125 Sierra SP.
Neck shot's are tricky, with a higher velocity bullet the hydrostatic can break the neck. With the 300 BLK it has to be a precision shot. Still, the end result was you got your deer - good thing.
In my testing, and following Whole Bunches results ( the man has killed more deer than Black Tongue disease ) I found the NBT very accurate, but I had to push it much harder to get the same results as the SST. Both being accurate at around the same node and the SST being a bit more bang for the buck, I went Hornady. Pushing the bullet hard at around 2200 out of a 16", could have got more with fire formed, properly prepped brass but accuracy fell off.
At 100 yards either bullet loaded to this speed will dump all it's got in the animal, resulting in a 20 to 40 yard nose shovel run.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I agree how well they shoot. I also agree with those who say they are a bit tough for the attainable velocities shot in a BO.

I have 250+ loaded on the shelf. Over the last couple days I pulled them all. The Hornady SST is the replacement.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Wjackson11x

Post by Wjackson11x »

Shot at 5 yds. with a 125 gr Nosler BT. Heart shot and went 80 yds. No blood until about 30 yds, then it was easy to follow. 222 lb Georgia whitetail. 3rd deer killed with the same Load. Its all about shot placement on this cartridge

Bulldog87

Post by Bulldog87 »

I have loaded Barnes 110gr Tac-TX and the Nosler 125 BT and they are extremely accurate out of both my Ruger American and AR pistol. I have not worked up a full hunting load yet. Using H110 right now and I've only gotten about 1/2 way up the factory recommended range for both rounds.

I need to work up a hunting load for later this year!
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Bulldog87 wrote:I have loaded Barnes 110gr Tac-TX and the Nosler 125 BT and they are extremely accurate out of both my Ruger American and AR pistol. I have not worked up a full hunting load yet. Using H110 right now and I've only gotten about 1/2 way up the factory recommended range for both rounds.

H110 needs to be and likes to be run at the top end of the load data and possibly a little above if you run your bullets a little longer than load data. Example if I were to load them: If the 110 Tac-Tx top data says 19.0 gr, I would do test loads at 18.6, 18.8, 19.0, 19.1 and 19.2 all at the same COAL. Look for pressure signs with each shot and stop when you see signs. If you have a chrono, they advertise 2350 fps for factory rounds so you could try to duplicate that.
Bulldog87

Post by Bulldog87 »

smustian wrote:
Bulldog87 wrote:I have loaded Barnes 110gr Tac-TX and the Nosler 125 BT and they are extremely accurate out of both my Ruger American and AR pistol. I have not worked up a full hunting load yet. Using H110 right now and I've only gotten about 1/2 way up the factory recommended range for both rounds.

H110 needs to be and likes to be run at the top end of the load data and possibly a little above if you run your bullets a little longer than load data. Example if I were to load them: If the 110 Tac-Tx top data says 19.0 gr, I would do test loads at 18.6, 18.8, 19.0, 19.1 and 19.2 all at the same COAL. Look for pressure signs with each shot and stop when you see signs. If you have a chrono, they advertise 2350 fps for factory rounds so you could try to duplicate that.

That's what I'm thinking too! I'm hoping to take a deer later this year with the 300 BLK!
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

I have had great results with the 125gr BT's. Shot 7 deer, a few pig and 30-40 goats with them so far. Neck and shoulder shot deer out to 300m all one shot kills. I just buy the cheap blemished and marked ones and still get sub MOA @ 2005 fps from a 12" barrel bolt gun. I am only really using them as they have a better BC but there's not that much in it compared to the 125gr SST's.