Lethality of 300blk

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

riude

Re: Lethality of 300blk

Post by riude »

Seems i can get h110 and both 125gr sst and bt.
But what i have read from this forum, sst seems more like fragmenting, not expanding bullet. I prefer expanding for animals i'm going to eat.
What do you think, is sst much easier to get enough velocity? Offcourse only testing will tell us for sure.
My version of quickload don't know 125 sst, so i can't use that.

And I dont need very long distances, let's say 150 yards max.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

riude wrote:Seems i can get h110 and both 125gr sst and bt.
But what i have read from this forum, sst seems more like fragmenting, not expanding bullet. I prefer expanding for animals i'm going to eat.
What do you think, is sst much easier to get enough velocity? Offcourse only testing will tell us for sure.
My version of quickload don't know 125 sst, so i can't use that.

And I dont need very long distances, let's say 150 yards max.
Bullet shape makes a big difference when trying to get maximum velocity. Bullets with a boat tail have .150"-.250" before the bearing surface touches the neck of the case. Better to be filled with powder :mrgreen:

The 125 SST has a flat base, and is shorter than the Nosler. So if you need to stay below 2.26" for fitting in the magazine, the Hornady again will have less bullet in the case. This can make the difference of 150+ fps. If you need to meet the energy requirements, this might be important.

Will your rifle allow you to load the cartridges longer than 2.26", will they fit in the magazine box?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
riude

Post by riude »

I just tested with 110gr black tipped barnes, vanguard magazine can take 59mm long ammo in. Means 2.32".
Black tip can be seated only 5mm (0.2"). And it´s not touching rifling that long.

My my, I think I don´t have any problems. Even that 110gr barnes can do it (by quickload). Infact pressure would stay 3700bar (quickload again).
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

riude wrote:I just tested with 110gr black tipped barnes, vanguard magazine can take 59mm long ammo in. Means 2.32".
Black tip can be seated only 5mm (0.2"). And it´s not touching rifling that long.

My my, I think I don´t have any problems. Even that 110gr barnes can do it (by quickload). Infact pressure would stay 3700bar (quickload again).
Many things are possible with this little cartridge. The length of 2.26" is to fit an AR 15 magazine, if you can load to 2.32" you will have much better performance.

I am not sure if you know, H110 and Winchester 296 is the same powder. In Quickload it will give you two different calculations. I always check both to see which is closer to actual results.
riude

Post by riude »

Seem´s so. I´ve reloaded quite long time and many calibers, but haven´t tweaked this kind of before.
Do you have idea what would be approx. col before touching rifling for 125 SST and BT?
If we assume chamber is according to saami/cip specs.

Quite much off topic btw....:D
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

riude wrote:Seem´s so. I´ve reloaded quite long time and many calibers, but haven´t tweaked this kind of before.
Do you have idea what would be approx. col before touching rifling for 125 SST and BT?
If we assume chamber is according to saami/cip specs.

Quite much off topic btw....:D
Not from memory, but I can check tonight.

I checked some of the bullets we have talked about, My magazine allows me to load to 2.490" so I never worry about length. These lengths will touch the rifling

Hornady 125 SST 2.300", this leaves .080" in the neck, in a 17" barrel 2400 fps is possible.

Barnes 110 blacktip 2.340"

Barnes 120 blacktip 2.430"

Berger 155 VLD hunter 2.360"

Berger 168 VLD hunter 2.360"

I am sorry I do not have any 125 Nolser bullets to give an exact length, but 2.100" might not have enough bearing surface in the case, about .100".

I hope that helps.

edited for lengths.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

At dellets request - 125 NBT , CBTO 1.524, COAL 2.142
She sits at flush with the top step of the Sheridan so this may constitute a jamb in some rifles and a jump in others. But the Sheridan is a constant so that gives a decent comparison. Another .002 in seating depth would have put it in the sweet spot.
Edit - you go Finland, I love my Tikka rifle!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
riude

Post by riude »

Thanks a lot. I think I don´t have any problems to get enought velocity.