90 grain xtp mushrooming ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rem_pss308

90 grain xtp mushrooming ?

Post by rem_pss308 »

I have loaded some subsonic loads with trailboss, and 90 grain XTP bullets. shooting thru a five gallon bucket the bullets did not expand. does anyone know if they will expand in an animal? Im thinking a 90 grain pistol bullet should expand in a body cavity.
" Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless when facing them"
rhyned

Re: 90 grain xtp mushrooming ?

Post by rhyned »

I actually had the same question. I shot into some milk jugs and had the same result. I got zero expansion. I assumed this bullet would expand at lower velocities. I've killed a coon and a groundhog with it, so it works, but I was curious about the same thing.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

FWIW, I'm working up some sub loads with that bullet right now and plan to run them through ballistics gel at ~1000 fps. Might take me a week or so, but I'll publish the results here (or maybe a link to a video! :twisted: :lol: ) when I'm done.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Get the speed a tick over a 1000 fps and they will expand. 4.6-4.7 gr. of trail boss should get you there.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

980fps into water jugs at right around 40 yards. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly but I want to say 4.5gr of trailboss loaded a little bit shorter than most others. I've yet to put one into a critter but I have full faith they will do the job.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Yup. Taken several vermin in the back yard with it. All at very close range.
When i tested it went thru 2 gallon jugs and I found it in the 3rd. Mushroomed ok and jacket separated. Great terminal results on the first jug. This was at about 15 yards.
I hate trying to load pics on this site. Anyone want to see a pic for proof pm me and I'll send.
Mine are over 4.4 grains on Unique at 1001fps avg.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

1013 fps into Clear Ballistics 10% gel. It penetrated about 14 inches and stopped ass-forward.

4.5 gr. Tin Star, CCI 400, CBTO 1.598". 16" suppressed.