Sucker for a nice piece of walnut

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Sucker for a nice piece of walnut

Post by Jcm800 »

riude wrote:From the picture i would say Jcm must be from skandinavia, probably swede? :P
LOL.....I'll mention that to the wife.
Wife was curious as to why it was the new center piece on the coffee table......JUST LOOK AT IT!!! :lol:

She's a good sport putting up with my bullshit.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Netpackrat wrote:That's beautiful, nice score. The 721/722 is my favorite bolt action. Replacement extractors haven't been available from Remington for about 3 decades, but NOS ones show up on Gunbroker occasionally. I traded for a clapped out 721 in .30-06 a few years ago that I am eventually going to have rebarreled in .35 Whelen.

This 721 started life as a 300 H&H that some dude rebarreled as a 7mm Weatherby Magnum. My dad traded a chainsaw for it.

Very nice...how's it shoot
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Jcm800 wrote:The only downside are the extractors are no longer made.....I'd just get a m16/Sako conversion if it ever broke.
With all due regard, Eff That. The 721/722 is a very strong action with good gas handling, and those extractor conversions provide a direct path back to the shooter's face in the event of a case head failure. Better to shoot something else until an NOS extractor can be located, or as a last resort I have read that a 700 bolt can be fitted. It's possible to modify a 7400 extractor to fit, and some people have machined the bolt head to accept the current M700 extractor. For a while PTG was making a replacement bolt for the 721 (available with your choice of extractors) but that seems to have been discontinued now.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

pd_3307 wrote:Beautiful rifle stock! Got a good deal there. How long is the barrel?
Thanks.....24"
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Jcm800 wrote:Very nice...how's it shoot
To be honest I haven't shot it in close to 20 years... But it's taken at least 2 elk (probably more), and both my dad and I killed several deer each with it. I put a 3x9 Redfield Widefield from Gunbroker on it this year but I haven't made it to the range with it yet. :oops: It's got an issue with the hinged floorplate that I need to get repaired before I get too serious about using it again.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Netpackrat wrote:
Jcm800 wrote:The only downside are the extractors are no longer made.....I'd just get a m16/Sako conversion if it ever broke.
With all due regard, Eff That. The 721/722 is a very strong action with good gas handling, and those extractor conversions provide a direct path back to the shooter's face in the event of a case head failure. Better to shoot something else until an NOS extractor can be located, or as a last resort I have read that a 700 bolt can be fitted. It's possible to modify a 7400 extractor to fit, and some people have machined the bolt head to accept the current M700 extractor. For a while PTG was making a replacement bolt for the 721 (available with your choice of extractors) but that seems to have been discontinued now.
Did not know that....thanks for the info. I'd just get the bolt face machined for a 700 extractor. I'm sure that is something Hart could handle.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, I slid pretty far down the 721 extractor rabbit hole while researching the 35 Whelen project. There are actually more than one type of 721/722 extractor. The originals (and most of the production run is this type) have a snap in extractor similar to the current 700 style, but not the same so the new ones won't fit. Some of the last 721/722 rifles apparently got the rivet style extractor from the 700 that replaced them, so those extractors (which are still available) should fit those rifles.

The NOS extractors for the magnum bolt face seem to be more available, and I scored a couple of them some time back. I swapped one of them into my 7mm just because, so I have one NOS and one used spare for that rifle now. As of last week, I appear to have scored several spares in the standard size on Gunbroker, which was really the only thing holding me back from spending money on the rebarrel project on the other rifle.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

nice stick man

at that price you stole it, as others have said the stock alone would go for more than that, and you got an action out of the deal.

like you said, send it out, have some work done and a fresh barrel put on it after you whack a deer with it just to say you did and then enjoy the heck out of it ! :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

That there is a beautiful piece of art.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Thanks plant, blog

So many great med cartridges it's hard to pick just one......don't know what happened to the pics...photobucket down?