Lethality of 300blk

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lethality of 300blk

Post by DoubleJ »

dellet wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:I shot a pdog in the neck with a Nosler CC 190 sub, it died. My .204 makes a much better pdog rifle, but the 300 did the trick, and quietly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 300 ballistics very close to 30-30 ballistics? That old gun has killed millions of things, 2 and 4 legged. Now of course deer are bigger than they used to be, like the size of a Rhino, and only a Weatherby 300 mag can kill one...
You forgot to mention that you can only use the 300 Mag from tree stand distance. :shock:
Correct, I did forget that the max effective range of the 300 Weatherby Magnum is 40 yards. Out to 100 you'll need a .338 Lapua. Unfortunately, you can't make the next step up to the 50BMG, as it's known to explode the heads and remove the skin of animals simply by passing by them in flight, and that's simply not ethical.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

DoubleJ wrote:
dellet wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:I shot a pdog in the neck with a Nosler CC 190 sub, it died. My .204 makes a much better pdog rifle, but the 300 did the trick, and quietly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 300 ballistics very close to 30-30 ballistics? That old gun has killed millions of things, 2 and 4 legged. Now of course deer are bigger than they used to be, like the size of a Rhino, and only a Weatherby 300 mag can kill one...
You forgot to mention that you can only use the 300 Mag from tree stand distance. :shock:
Correct, I did forget that the max effective range of the 300 Weatherby Magnum is 40 yards. Out to 100 you'll need a .338 Lapua. Unfortunately, you can't make the next step up to the 50BMG, as it's known to explode the heads and remove the skin of animals simply by passing by them in flight, and that's simply not ethical.
Grandpa always said to use enough gun:

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:
dellet wrote: You forgot to mention that you can only use the 300 Mag from tree stand distance. :shock:

That's a .750 earsplittin loudenboomer!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

a 300 blackout is as lethal as the person pulling the trigger . I have made several drt shots with 110 grain v-max and varmageddons and 225 grain outlaw state subs. the farthest I have had a deer run is 30 yds . I have shot a deer with the barnes 110 grain and cleaned its clock but I have to ask myself is it worth the expense to pay 32 dollars for 50 barnes opposed to 25.00 for 100 v-max ? not really . I am not a big fan of so called plinking ammo . why would I want to shoot a bullet that is not as accurate and dont shoot to the same point of aim as my serious loads ? If I wanted to make noise I will get out my stratocaster and do my rendition of paranoid .
My self defense ammo is also my hunting ammo, my logic is if it will kill a deer it will chill a creep . its all about field craft and being ethical , can I hit a deer at 300 yds ? yep. would I shoot at one 300 yds with a blackout ? No . Like rebel said for self defense I would be cranking a 110 grain varmageddon at about 2400 fps , they do nasty things at that velocity.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

rebel wrote:
dellet wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:

Yes sir! Believe it was used for triceratops hunting back in days of black and white and leaded fuel. Nowadays it's barely adequate for doves and quail though. Corbon makes ammo for it.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

DoubleJ wrote:
rebel wrote:
dellet wrote:

Yes sir! Believe it was used for triceratops hunting back in days of black and white and leaded fuel. Nowadays it's barely adequate for doves and quail though. Corbon makes ammo for it.
Correct sir they're the only gun left legal in Australia and England.
Just nothing else human enough for killing house flys
riude

Post by riude »

Sad, that whitetails here in Finland won´t die with 300 blk.
We have strange limit´s:
For whitetail, you must have at least 6 gram bullet, whitch has 2000 joules at 100 meter distance OR 8g bullet, with 1700J@100m :D.

And for moose, wild boar and bear limits are 9gram/2700J@100m or 10g/200J@100m.

Clever and practical.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

riude wrote:Sad, that whitetails here in Finland won´t die with 300 blk.
We have strange limit´s:
For whitetail, you must have at least 6 gram bullet, whitch has 2000 joules at 100 meter distance OR 8g bullet, with 1700J@100m :D.

Clever and practical.

I don't know what that transfers to in American 8) :mrgreen: :lol:

But i absolutely despise those type of requirements for hunting. Luckily there are only a few states here in the US that have this requirement. But it is stupid and out dated.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

riude wrote:Sad, that whitetails here in Finland won´t die with 300 blk.
We have strange limit´s:

Clever and practical.
Do they require commercial ammo, or will they test your Handloaded ammo?

The requirements for deer are possible. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I just checked, I don't see any joules on my bullets! Damn :mrgreen:
I knew Finland had a strong hunting tradition but had no idea they were so restrictive.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.