Better Late than never......

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Better Late than never......

Post by rebel »

Last fall, my wife and I purchased the 9.5 acres next to us, while my original 6.5 is mostly a cutover and wooded. This is primarily a hay field. The farmer that cuts hay on it and I talked, made a year to year agreement. I disced a 12 foot wide strip next to the woodline in an attempt to plant some oats or wheat. It is sewn but we are in a drought and it hasn't done real well. In anycase, I have been running behind as I have put my heart and soul ( and wallet )in to the gun shop. But the project is nearing the finish and I hope to have the time this year to use it. Thought I'd share.

You can't see it, but I built steps instead of a ladder and am going to add a hand rail up on the little porch. I am also building the window shutters today as well. Here is a view out the front, sides and back.

Since I was building it myself, I used 1.5x2 s and Coroplast sheets to keep it light. Placed the walls one by one, squared them and screwed together.A friend helped me get the roof on, it is corrugated vinyl. Though I have driven rebar for anchors I'll probably add a steel cable as an additional anchor. I am adding foam for a bit of sound dampening.
I have seen a few deer while working on it, so hopefully they are getting used to it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Better Late than never......

Post by smustian »

That will look great once you get the plumbing, electric and phone connections put in. Good job so far.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

looks huntable! :)

the deer will be ignoring it within a few days. stationary objects that done threaten them are just another piece of the landscape generally - especailly if box blinds are nearly as prevelant around your neck of the woods as they are up here.

we find deer tracks near ours while they're still construction sites and have even had a buck use one of the 4x6's as a rub, to apparently claim it as "his"

the one i hunt from has been a fixture in the woods for a while now, however its not uncommon for me to have does wander to within spitting distance of me. i've got pics and vids somewhere from a few years ago where i had one within about 10' of where i was sitting
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Good grief, Rebel, what are you doing?

That looks like you're hunting some open fields. I read on arf.com and 6.8 that the 300blk doesn't have enough range... :mrgreen:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

My rifles are like a set of golf clubs. I don't play, but certain clubs work better with some holes, and yeah this stand has some 300 yarders or better. But I won't hesitate to take my Blackout there.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

This is my 5th deer season on our place, and I still don't have any tower blinds. I'll be up in my Summit climber tomorrow being jealous of your speedy progress. :lol:

Who's the camo for anyway?

I get a good laugh out of the lengths people go to try and blend their blinds in around the web forums. I've seen guys plant conifers at the base (which will just grow up to block their shots), strap artificial Christmas trees to them, elaborate camo paint jobs that had to take hours to complete... The deer don't even care. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in person or otherwise was eating some flower garden in the drip line of a detatched garage. Could've shot that one through the window if you were inside at the time. :mrgreen:

I had a couple forkies "trapped" in my work yard by the pond site when I drove up in the truck boxing them in (not really). They got all confused about how to get out because I have log piles and tractor implements around the perimeter of the tree line. It was the funniest thing I've seen deer do! They kept going around in circles and back and fourth because they couldn't seem to figure out they could run past any one of the implements into open woods. They certainly don't care about my 20' cargo container, atv, pallets, or anything else I have with human stink all over it - there's a big watering hole there!
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

All but one piece of the Coroplast was white. I did it for a bit of UV protection and camo from the road. It blends in pretty good. Besides none of my hunting cloths are white. Agreed that the deer could care less.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

smustian wrote:That will look great once you get the plumbing, electric and phone connections put in. Good job so far.
If he does that, it'll be better equipped than his house... ;)

Looks awesome, Rebel!
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Sithlord wrote:
smustian wrote:That will look great once you get the plumbing, electric and phone connections put in. Good job so far.
If he does that, it'll be better equipped than his house... ;)

Looks awesome, Rebel!
Rebel told about his future plans for the stand. Heated toilet seat, electric heater, small frig and the phone so he can call his wife and have her bring him lunch plus call all his friends that are not hunting and bug them. Maybe next year he will put on an addition (redneck talk for put another trailer next to the one you have) with a bed so if he is in the dog house he has a place to go.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Ah my civilized Virginian friends, just because my version of luxury is different than yours means nothing. I like having refrigeration, i:e cold beer but you fellows think chest waxes and temple massages are the latest, greatest. It's ok, I know you can't help it :P

Back on track, I'm thing about just doing temporary window covers and coming back to it in the spring with hinged stuff.