Ruger Ranch COAL

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

mww460

Ruger Ranch COAL

Post by mww460 »

Just bought a Ruger Ranch for my son to Deer hunt with this year. I have some 125 sst and H110. What COAL are you guys getting in your Ranch rifles. Just looking for ideas as I know each rifle is different. Just waiting on some converted brass to show up. Thanks Michael
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger Ranch COAL

Post by smustian »

There is no way for us to tell you what length or powder charge will work best for your rifle. Some people push or exceed the recommended loads because they have tried load combinations and look for signs for their own individual rifle. I suggest that you use posted data and work up a ladder set and go shoot to find out for yourself.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I settled on 2.125" OAL for my SSTs, & they get good accuracy in the RARR at 100 yd.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
riude

Post by riude »

What is max. cartridge length Ranch magazine can handle?
riude

Post by riude »

No one knows`?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

riude, I'm not exactly sure, never measured mine. I single shoot a lot. I am thinking it's like 2.3 something
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

riude wrote:What is max. cartridge length Ranch magazine can handle?
2.260" is the maximum cartridge length for the 300 Blk and the .223. A cartridge loaded to this length will load into the magazine, but may not chamber due to the shape of the bullet nose.
-When you get your converted brass, first try it in the chamber of the rifle first to see if it is properly sized.
-Then seat a bullet into an empty unprimed case to 2.260". Try it in the chamber and seat the bullet deeper until the bolt will just close. That length will be the maximum for that bullet in your rifle.
-Then consult a loading manual for the proper powder charge weight. Then, as always, start a few grains lower and work upwards.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

I'd crimp into the canalure of 125 SST, OAL of 2.100" as I trim my brass. It's one of my most accurate loads. On a side note, I have an old Mini 14 in 556 that refused to group till I bobbed the barrel to 16.25". Night and day, go figure. Pretty nice rifle now.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

I load my TNTs right at 2.100, they group good in my RARR, now the Barnes black tips I load a longer COAL.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER